Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
HDV FORMAT:HDV Format ForumTutorialsApple FCP ForumAdobe Premiere Pro ForumSony Vegas Forum

Re: HDV & DV to Intel Mac without iMovie and FCP

COW Forums : HDV Format

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ryan MastRe: HDV & DV to Intel Mac without iMovie and FCP
by on Feb 15, 2008 at 5:52:11 am

Hi Dave,

I occasionally use a tool from Apple's developer site, in the FireWireSDK kit called DVHSCap. It captures the HDV stream to a .ts file straight from the camera -- works for tapes and live recordings. The only time it's really useful to me is for a >1hr shoot that I don't want to change tapes for, but it'll probably work perfectly for what you need. It doesn't transcode anything -- just takes the raw data, so it's about the same data length as your tape.

Here's the link:
http://developer.apple.com/hardwaredrivers/download/

I haven't figured out how to repackage the HDV stream into something directly usable in Final Cut, so for now I use MPEG Streamclip to convert it to AIC for editing. Anyone have ideas on a better workflow? At any rate, I think you can use DVHSCap to dub the HDV .ts file back out to tape, so you could do that and recapture in Final Cut if you have need for that.

Good luck!

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]