Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
HDV FORMAT:HDV Format ForumTutorialsApple FCP ForumAdobe Premiere Pro ForumSony Vegas Forum

Re: How good is the audio on Sony HVR-Z1U in HDV mode? I want the closest camera to a Panasonic HVX200 but HDV.

COW Forums : HDV Format

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael GRe: How good is the audio on Sony HVR-Z1U in HDV mode? I want the closest camera to a Panasonic HVX200 but HDV.
by on Mar 18, 2007 at 1:19:52 am

[Carlos E. Martinez] "The PD170 audio was a HUGE improvement over the PD150, and is a HUGE improvement over the Z1 for just one reason: it records uncompressed PCM audio, which the Z1 does not.

One thing is true though: the Z1 input audio electronics are the same of the PD170, plus a limiter and external separate pots."

As a sound post facility with over 700 docos under our belt, I can assure you that both the PD150 and 170 are noisy and have a high frequency interference noise. Althought PCM they are both noisy and compared to the Z1 have required CEDAR denoising on quiet interviews and sync sound. The Z1 is much quieter so I doubt very much that it is the same electronics as the PD170. If it is then they have eliminated the noise and interference so on interviews and sync sound he Z1 is better than the PD150 and 170.

There is so much more to audio than codecs. As I said, pay attention to input electronics and microphones, so the field mixer and the microphone are the main consideration. mpeg audio is a good codec. Double system is such a pain in post production that the minor quality improvement would only be worth it for music or highly dynamic sound.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]