Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
HDV FORMAT:HDV Format ForumTutorialsApple FCP ForumAdobe Premiere Pro ForumSony Vegas Forum

Re: Will HDV be a dead format within three years?

COW Forums : HDV Format

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jerry AltoRe: Will HDV be a dead format within three years?
by on Jan 14, 2007 at 8:07:32 pm

Hey Bob- Couldn't agree more. I think Sony's big mistake, especially with us old timers, was when they came out with Digital Betacam and the camera was $70,000 without a lens! That's in 1995! Talk about being greedy. Sony had the world market locked up with Betacam and they shot themselves in the foot. Lot's of people held back from the Digi-Beta plunge.

The next thing you know there are multiple digital formats; DV, DCVPro25, DVCPro50, D-9, DV-Cam, D-2, D-5, etc.,etc.

Talk about muddy the water. Thousands of us independant producers (let alone broadcasters) hung onto our old Betacams and waited out the storm. Sony you had it and you blew it!

Well, two years ago the Z-1 HDV comes out with analog component out. Get a Kona card and FCP and look at what this thing can do! Real time HD component uncompressed, DVC-Pro HD, SD 10 bit/8 bit uncompressed, S-video, composite video, widescreen, cropped, stretched, NTSC, Pal, yea even HDV native! IN AND OUT- Real Time!

The picture is way better than Betacam SP and the camera cost $3,500. My old Betacam 300A cost $28,000 without a lens in 1990!

Plus the Z-1 weighs 5 lbs., uses one hour tapes and will run all day long on two batteries.

Hey, less than 5% of consumers know what real HD is. It's my opinion that this format has legs and for $3,500 WHO CARES?

Yea, the issues with HDV mpeg can be confusing but they aren't that big a deal. In my case 90% of the time they stop at the camera analog outputs. But hey if I do edit HDV native I've got real time HD video (on down to SD composite) coming out the Kona connectors. Talk about flexible!

To me flexibility means longevity

My two cents.

Jerry

G5 Dual 3GB Ram
FCP5 Studio
External 1 TB SATA Raid 0
Kona LH, Second system w AJA ioLA
Sony Z-1

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread: