Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AUTODESK:Autodesk Smoke ForumAutodesk CombustionAutodesk Smoke 2013

Re: Do all post houses have 1 employee? (Shared workflows)

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

David JahnsRe: Do all post houses have 1 employee? (Shared workflows)
by on May 3, 2012 at 2:14:06 am

I feel your pain Drew! We have 10 rooms, all working from a SAN - Editshare, running both Avid & FCP Legacy from the same server. We had an Avid Unity back in the day, and we'd be dead in the water without shared storage. Any of the 10 rooms can pick up the project whenever they need to - it's great.

The absolute deal-killer with us and FCP-X is the lack of shared project support. I could maybe deal with the timeline & keywording changes, but there's no way in hell any shop like ours is using FCP-X in a collaborative workflow - even with an XSAN, it's still very painful.

Premiere Pro is even much more limiting than FCP 7, as you can only have one project open at a time, so opening each other's projects and copying what you need to your project is much clunkier.

Avid is still the king of shared workflows. We're back to about 50/50 Avid/FCP, and we'll give CS6 a shot when it comes out. We also have a SMoke 2012 for finishing, but it operates on local storage. I have no idea how that would work if more of our editors want to give new Smoke a try...

David Jahns
---
Joint Editorial
Portland, OR

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy