Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE DVD STUDIO:HomeDVD Studio ForumDVD Studio TutorialsFinal Cut Studio

Re: dialog normalization

COW Forums : Apple DVD Studio Pro

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Sean MeredithRe: dialog normalization
by on Apr 13, 2006 at 11:29:34 pm

Matt,
I've been researching the dialogue normalization setting, too. On-line articles and tutorials simply say to set it to -31 or your audio will get screwed up. End of discussion. I've read lengthy explanations of how dialog norm works. And there are guides as to how to set it properly in other encoding apps, but nothing that applies to Compressor. I have a feature film that was a Dolby 5.1 mix with an average dialog level of around -18 in the center channel. In other encoding apps that would mean you set your dialog norm setting to -13 (-18 + -13 = -31). Then supposedly it doesn't change the audio, it just changes the metadata that the Dolby decoder uses inside the DVD players to figure out what level to send out. It also determines the center of the compression curve (if you've chosen Film Light or some other compression choice). But I've found nothing on determining an optimum setting. I even spoke with someone on the FCP team at Apple. He said he'd try to dig up some info but I never heard back.

sean
http://www.dantefilm.com

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:
  • dialog normalization by Matt on Apr 10, 2006 at 9:40:34 am
    • Re: dialog normalization by Sean Meredith on Apr 13, 2006 at 11:29:34 pm

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy