Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY CINEALTA:Sony CineAlta HD ForumHDV Format ForumSony CineAlta HD Articles

Re: Blu-ray disc brands - comparison

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Craig SeemanRe: Blu-ray disc brands - comparison
by on Dec 13, 2011 at 5:19:09 pm

I'm certainly frustrated by Blu-ray sizes compared to Flash cards.

I've been told that 50GB is a bit more risky for archival because you're then dependent on the laser refocusing for playback on a dual layer disk. 25GB is obviously too small to archive 32GB Flash cards. Sony Clip Browser can split BPAV folders but I have not found the equivalent for AVCHD (BPMV) folders.

I'd really like to see high capacity single layer Blu-ray disk . . . at a "reasonable" price.

BTW from everything I read, Blu-ray isn't at all like DVD when it comes to archival. The Blu-ray surfaces (and the lasers) supposedly are much less likely to impacted by scratches or blemishes that occur over time and the layering process of the substrate to surface is much less resistant to short term decay. While they don't last forever I suspect the claims of 50 years are far more substantial compared to some "bargain" DVDs that could break down after a couple of years or be rendered useless with a single minor surface scratch.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]