Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY CINEALTA:Sony CineAlta HD ForumHDV Format ForumSony CineAlta HD Articles

Re: workflow options on an extremely limited budget

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Clint FleckensteinRe: workflow options on an extremely limited budget
by on Nov 20, 2009 at 9:51:55 pm

I'm going to echo Craig on this one. It's the cost of doing business. I don't know of any mechanics trying to do everything with a pliers and a crescent wrench because they are unable or unwilling to stock their toolbox with the right tools for the job. Such a mechanic would not be able to perform a job correctly, within the time allowed, resulting in any sort of quality reputation.

As a teenager I got my foot in the door when the only people producing anything were the ones that had hundreds of thousands of dollars to invest in equipment. That's why you'll find people who've been in the business for a while to be especially cranky when someone balks at spending $1200 on something vital to doing your job.

When we prepared to transition from shooting standard definition DV/DVCAM to high definition XDCAM, I was adamant about telling everybody in the building that certain costs were going to go up. Taking the next step in quality, I pointed out, was going to require some investment in hardware and software as well as more care in preparing and setting up each shoot. Suddenly we're dealing with a widescreen format that will expose every little imperfection in lighting, background, and even makeup. The only nice thing about DVCAM by comparison is that it concealed many of those things. Once again, it comes with the territory.

If you're not able to spend the money for an NLE, I'm curious about other aspects of your workflow. If you threw all your resources at just the camera, you're going to be lacking in other very important areas. How's your lighting? Are you archiving?

Cf

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]