Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY CINEALTA:Sony CineAlta HD ForumHDV Format ForumSony CineAlta HD Articles

Re: Back Up Methods Sony EX-1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Roger HendrickRe: Back Up Methods Sony EX-1
by on Oct 7, 2009 at 3:31:49 pm

We also back up to LTO tape. We have LTO-4 drives at work. Projects are moved to a mirrored NAS for near term storage then archived to LTO tape from there, on a schedule. For P2 and XDCAM-EX footage we offload cards directly to both the NAS and local RAID. We used to use BD-R to archive but we prefer this NAS to tape arrangement - much faster/cheaper and we have lots of redundancy both locally at the workstation and within the NAS. The tapes are bullet proof, *excellent* error correction, large capacity and fast (though we usually run backups overnight).

As far as price, yes new LTO-4 *is* expensive, however I just picked up two LTO-2 drives off ebay for about $80 each. I'll use one in my home studio hanging off an old G4, running Ubuntu as a simple RAID 1 NAS / backup station. Now I'll have the same industrial quality backup for my home network. The other one is kept as a spare (a no-brainer given the price).

LTO-2 is good for 200-400GB per $30 tape and the LTO spec (which is open source unlike DAT or DLT) specifies that you can read back from at least two generations of future drives. The tape data *mounts* so copying from LTO-2 to any newer LTO flavor in the future will be easy (our to some other BU option - the *cloud* maybe??).

Roger Hendrick
The Airship Factory
http://www.airshipfactory.com
HD Video Production - Blu-ray Authoring

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy