Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: MXO with 60 versus 59.94 Hz LCD

COW Forums : Matrox Video Systems

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mark CurryRe: MXO with 60 versus 59.94 Hz LCD
by on Jan 4, 2011 at 4:18:21 am

[Mark Curry] "I believe the MXO was designed for the 1920x1200 59.94 Hz ACD and that using any 60 Hz monitors will result in 3 frames dropped every 3 1/3 minutes - yes? "
[Shane Ross] "No. That's the REFRESH RATE, not a FRAME RATE. It'll work just fine."
Hi Shane. I still understood that the 59.94 Hz to be a video standard and 60 Hz to be a computer standard and I did read in various place including the Matrox MXO Support tested DVI monitors page that the "Apple Cinema Displays support a vertical refresh rate of 59.94 Hz, which results in the best possible image quality."

[Shane Ross] "This will work with the HP monitor. The ACD is 60Hz. The Dell I used is 60Hz. Did you even TRY it?"
I gave it a quick test today and it looked good. I didn't notice any dropped frames. The color space did look different than just using the Digital Cinema Desktop Preview which is encouraging. The video did look stuttery, but it is 24p video which might not have been shot well (i.e. taking into account the lower frame rate). I'll have a bit more time tomorrow to test with other footage such as 60i.

[Shane Ross] "It works pretty well. NOt the best...it isn't a replacement for HD CRTs or LCDs. Because most computer panels are 6-bit. Maybe some are 8-bit. I used it for a while, and got good results...even though the ACD was a 6-bit panel. The HP should be at least an 8-bit, so you should be fine."
Yes, this is what I'm expecting. Do extended gamut monitors present any complication?

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]