Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: HyperDeck Shuttle 2 - no captioning?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeff HartmanRe: HyperDeck Shuttle 2 - no captioning?
by on May 1, 2012 at 12:42:00 pm

[Don Stephens] "I'm confused as to why BMD would post specs that aren't implemented yet but act as if they are. This is not a terribly new product, either, so there's been time for at least a couple firmware releases."

I'm having exactly the same issue with their OpenGear Up/Down/Cross converter cards: no captioning with certain combinations of input and output formats. They told me back in December that this was a known issue that would be corrected in a firmware relase. Now, in May, there is still no fix for this -- and there is still no documentation for the product.

It's the same issue we had with their ATEM Television Studio, which was explicitly specified to work with both SD and HD formats. They shipped for many months before a firmware revision last November finally enabled standard def functionality.

BMD makes some neat stuff, but you can't depend on their specifications as a guide to whether the product will actually perform a given task. At this point I am only purchasing their gear if it is proven to actually work for my application. Innovation and cost-effectiveness are great... but only after making sure the product actually delivers what is promised.

Sorry for the rant... but the point is, this is no anomaly.

Jeff Hartman
Engineering Project Manager
Newport Television, Northeast

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]