Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: ATEM Television Studio QUESTIONS!

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Richard CrowleyRe: ATEM Television Studio QUESTIONS!
by on Apr 8, 2012 at 3:40:24 am

I just got my ATEM TVS a few days ago, also. But I have been researching these and other questions here and in other forums (one specifically for ATEM users). This forum blocks references to other forums, so you will have to discover it yourself.

1. It appears that the whole output functionality via the USB H.264 is highly problematic to the point that it doesn't to seem production-worthy yet. Perhaps in some future update release. Jerry Pournelle coined a popular phrase in his Byte magazine column decades ago which BMD seems to have taken as their motto: "Real Soon Now".

2. Audio fed into the AES digital input of the TVS is embedded in both the SDI and HDMI program outputs.

The video processing in the TVS introduces an unavoidable delay (unless you are using genlocked video sources). So any audio you embed will be ahead of the video by some amount of time (which varies depending on your configuration). Even if you inject audio into the AES input on the TVS, you must delay the audio so that it will match the video. One online source which discusses streaming hardware suggested the Behringer Shark FBQ100 as a low-cost adjustable delay device. But you still need to convert the analog to digital for the AES input on the TVS. I am ordering a TV One 1T-AP-216 which combines the analog-to-digital converter plus a 150 ms (switchable) delay. For $25. And much smaller than the recommended Behringer SRC2496.

3. You will probably have a problem with the video lagging behind the audio. Whether it is bad enough to be objectionable can only be determined by you doing your own experiment. Easiest way to test it is with the simple "clap-test" and see which comes first, the audio or the video.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]