Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: HDLink -- HD-SDI to DVI input on Sony CRT -- Possible? Pros? Cons?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

B.J. AhlenRe: HDLink -- HD-SDI to DVI input on Sony CRT -- Possible? Pros? Cons?
by on May 23, 2005 at 11:02:35 pm

[Bob Zelin] "Please tell me WHAT CONSUMER CRT MONITORS are out there - what brand are they? And are they truly HD ?"

There are at least 4 brands in stores right now: Philips, RCA and another brand I don't remember, these cost about $800 currently. They all accept HD 720p and 1080i signals and display them to the best of their ability (which is not that great because of the CRT mask). There are also several Sony HD CRTs at far higher prices, these are significantly better.

It doesn't have to be 1920x1080p to be HD. The most common definition (in the U.S.) of what is HD today is in the ATSC standard, which apecifies 17 HD formats.

A lot of people today think 1920x1080 is the only HD format. They'll have a hard time finding any kind of display with native resolution for this, and neither the Panny Varicam or Sony HDCAM qualify.

Today we have to live with various shortcuts.

As soon as native 1920x1080 cameras and displays become widely available, you can be sure that there will immediately be people saying that anything less than 4K shouldn't be called HD...

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]