Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
PANASONIC AG-DVX:Panasonic AG-DVX ForumPanasonic HVX - HPXPanasonic Varicam

Re: Do I Own A Dinosaur?

COW Forums : Panasonic GH Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Solution
Matthew SonnenfeldRe: Do I Own A Dinosaur?
by on Apr 30, 2012 at 12:54:53 pm

Hard question to answer...

Really depends on what you're doing. Could not agree more with Noah. Honestly I've been at major broadcast networks that use a DVX100B every day for small casting shoots and other various things like that so it is definitely a nice camera to have around. Honestly, I would keep it just because you probably won't get the type of money out of it that you would hope for. At that point, I'd be happier keeping it for that rainy day when a good looking SD camera that can shoot 24p to miniDV tape comes in super handy. That day will come...

But if you really need a new camera or you need to do modern work, then yes I'd say you should look to get something new (while still holding onto the DVX if you can). If you like the feel of the Panasonic, the form factor of the DVX, and you want to stay with the company, then I'd look to the HPX250 or the AVCCAM version, the AC160, for less money. Same everything, but different recording codec. Cost/Benefit, what's important to you? For more narrative driven work, check out the AF100 which you can get at a great price now. Someone even just posted a huge AF100 kit that he's trying to sell a few threads above. But the camera itself is running at about $3,500 now after rebates. If you want a great value camera, and don't mind spending on Canon glass, or if you already have Canon glass, look to pre-ordering the Blackmagic Cinema Camera. That looks like a very cool piece of kit. And with an unbeatable software bundle.

There are a lot of options out there. Find what works for you. But keep the DVX.

Panasonic HPX170, Canon 7D
2011 Macbook Pro 17", 2.3 Ghz Quad Core, 8GB RAM
AJA IoXT
Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5, Final Cut Pro Studio 3, Avid Media Composer 3.5.4
The College of William and Mary

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter