Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
PANASONIC AG-DVX:Panasonic AG-DVX ForumPanasonic HVX - HPXPanasonic Varicam

Re: Thinking of buying an AC160, but worried about coma/aberration

COW Forums : Panasonic GH Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Guy McLoughlinRe: Thinking of buying an AC160, but worried about coma/aberration
by on Apr 15, 2012 at 8:54:20 pm

[Stephen Crye] "And in this post, "iSi" includes a screen shot of the same reddish CA on top of the little ornamental architectural object. Now, please understand that this example shows a very minor amount of fringe; what worries me is that it is the same color as what I am seeing in the night lights shots:
http://www.isi-asia.net/download/A-resort-in-Pattaya-ca.jpg

I have read (and want to believe) that the AC160 has Chromatic Aberration Compensation (CAC) built in. Adam Wilt of ProvideoCoalition claims that it only works on lateral CA."

...Looking at this example, I can clearly see what you are talking about. Yes, this looks like CA to me, but it seems like it's only a problem with over-exposed whites against a darker background. If you plan on doing a lot of night shooting, then I think you may have to by-pass on these Panasonic cameras, but I honestly can't say which camera brand will perform better under the same conditions. ( i.e. Wide-open Low-light shooting with lots of subject contrast )

I've seen the same problems with both Canon and Sony prosumer cameras, and often the longer/faster the lens the worse the CA performance is when shooting wide open.

Even DSLR still photo prime lenses will show objectionable CA when shooting at maximum apertures, but the CA becomes properly controlled once the lens is stopped down a bit.

I would be curious to see if the Panasonic CA problem goes away once the lens is stopped down 1 or 2 stops. ( makes for a very slow lens under low-light conditions, but are there any other options ? )

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]