Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Looking for honest feedback from pros on some corporate videos...

COW Forums : Corporate Video

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mark SuszkoRe: Looking for honest feedback from pros on some corporate videos...
by on Jul 1, 2008 at 10:59:31 pm

Couple things I noticed about "Bill N.'s" piece:

You have virtual and real horizon lines going thru each man's head right at their eye line. In every shot. Pretty much in focus too. Why are you doing that? Once I noticed it I couldn't stop noticing it. To me, it breaks up the outline of the head and makes it harder to recognize a face/ break it out from the background. Pull the cameras further back at least and throw that background into softer focus by using tighter depth of field control. Makes your talent pop out of the scene and look more dimensional, IMO.

The blinds behind the head would be less distracting if they were less bright. This too is personal preference; I like the BG a stop or so darker and out of focus unless it has some important context.

The head-on medium shot could have used more fill, IMO, but this is individual preference.

The cut-away to wide side-angle helps break up the long take, but takes you too far away from the subject matter and what he's saying, IMO. I'd instead tend to use that wide cut-away up front or at the end or to signal a shift in topic, and would prefer a change in angle on the head-on shot, going to a slightly wider or tighter framing to break it up. If you only have the two cameras, (that's what it looks like), I think the thing to do is ask the question a second time and shoot with a re-framed shot head-on, and cut between those takes.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]