Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AJA:AJA io ForumAJA Kona ForumAJA Xena ForumAJA io TutorialsAJA Kona TutorialsAJA Xena TutorialsAJA

SDI cable legnth???

COW Forums : AJA Kona

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Harry PallenbergSDI cable legnth???
by on Feb 26, 2003 at 7:58:42 pm

We are looking to put a system about 100 yards away from the DigiBeta deck - is this going to be an issue? Does picture quality degrade over such a distance?

Return to posts index

Scot OlsonRe: SDI cable legnth???
by on Feb 26, 2003 at 8:51:36 pm

100 meters is the generally recommended maximum. If you use good cable you should be OK. Here is a URL to a Gepco pdf that has a chart at the bottom of recommended maximums for some of their cables.

http://www.gepco.com/PDF_files/digitalvideo.pdf

Scot Olson

Return to posts index

Grant PettyRe: SDI cable legnth???
by on Feb 27, 2003 at 1:59:31 pm

Hi,

The effect of cable problems is sparkles in the picture, or even the picture breaking up. Analog gets lower quality with longer cable length, however the great thing about digital is it's totally immune to this.

However, you get increased errors once the cable gets too long for the receiver to compensate for the length. So everything is fine, and then you add a little more and it falls over.

As an engineer in post, I always used to have a long cable I would add to everything I installed to make sure I was ok, and not on the edge. The last thing I wanted was a problem in the middle of a job! (or middle of the night!)

The SDI spec is generally designed around 300 feet or 300 meters of cable length. I need to check that because I have forgotten if the standard is feet or meters. I am not exactly sure what the Kona can do, however it should handle the length you need without any problems.

Regards,

Grant Petty
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Matt SilvermanRe: SDI cable legnth???
by on Feb 27, 2003 at 5:32:45 pm

The other option is to put the G4 next to the deck, then extend the monitors and keyboard to the suite. This is what we do... all of our avids and kona/decklink stations are in our air conditioned machine room. Gefen makes some great extenders for this. And it keeps the suites nice and quiet =).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]