Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AJA:AJA io ForumAJA Kona ForumAJA Xena ForumAJA io TutorialsAJA Kona TutorialsAJA Xena TutorialsAJA

Taking the Kona Plunge

COW Forums : AJA Kona

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Dave BeatyTaking the Kona Plunge
by on Feb 12, 2003 at 1:02:13 am

Wish I found this forum sooner! So many compatibility issues when integrating a system with peripherals from so many vendors.
I'm returning a Stealth and a UL4D thanks to posts here and getting the approved hardware instead. I've been using Media 100's for 8 years and were adding this system, not replacing.

Here's what I'm putting together:

Kona SD
MD G4 Dual 1Ghz
OS 10.2.3
Atto UL3D
Dual Medea 130 RT's
Flying Cow
Hotronic AD/DA's
Keyspan
BVW Deck

I havn't read to many posts hear about the Hotonics AD/DA's but I like them because the two units fit exatcly in one RU with a bracket and the AD's have S-vid, composite and component connectors that are not shared, IOW you can have everything plugged in and switch between them with a switch on the back (It should be on the front, honestly). I'll report on how they stack up once I'm up and running. Oh yeah, they have a build-in PS. cost is similar to AJA. Hotronics has been producing broadcast gear for many years.

Dave

Dave Beaty
Dreamtime Entertainment

Return to posts index

PaulRe: Atto UL4D doesnt work with Kona?
by on Feb 12, 2003 at 1:29:52 am

I just purchased a Atto UL4D, this doesnt work?

Paul

Return to posts index

Bob ZelinRe: Atto UL4D doesnt work with Kona?
by on Feb 12, 2003 at 4:15:31 am

Read this forum more often. And if you don't believe us, call ATTO tech support and ask them. I assume you are not using an XServe, because the UL4D is the correct choice for the XServe.
Otherwise, get the UL3D.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Grant PettyRe: Atto UL4D doesnt work with Kona?
by on Feb 12, 2003 at 4:27:37 am

Hi,

It's not so much it working with the Kona, but the Mac OS X itself. We have seen this card work one moment, and then not the next. It's quite hard to know if it's going to be compatible with all SCSI disks, and it's just not working really well at all.

So a few weeks ago we started to stop recommending it, because we could not be sure it would work if a customer purchased a system

ATTO say it's because its a PCIX card, however I am not sure how that would stop it from seeing SCSI disks. I hope they fix it, as it would be a great card. The ATTO UL3D is a great card, and has been extremely stable.

Regards,

Grant Petty
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Anthony VamvakitisRe: Taking the Kona Plunge
by on Feb 12, 2003 at 1:45:50 am

Dave:

Welcome aboard. I have nearly the exact same configuration as you and have been very happy with it. The one thing that concerns me is the array. I thought the RT's weren't fast enough and that the RTRs were the better choice. I would check with Medea and AJA to make sure those work well together.

Good luck,

Anthony

Return to posts index

PaulRe: Taking the Kona Plunge
by on Feb 12, 2003 at 2:19:09 am

I thought the RTR's worked fine with Kona now.

Return to posts index

dgtleditorRe: Taking the Kona Plunge
by on Feb 12, 2003 at 2:36:52 am

not familiar with Hotronics AD DA's.
May I ask who you are purchasing from?

I may look into Hotronics if they are comparable to AJA or the DA Max

Return to posts index

Anthony VamvakitisRe: Taking the Kona Plunge
by on Feb 12, 2003 at 3:36:56 am

The RTRs work fine but the RTs can't keep up I guess (according to Medea's site.

http://www.medea.com/nav/go.cfm?Loc=CompatMatrix

Which do you have? Your good if you've got the RTRs but the RTs are questionable.

Return to posts index

Dave BeatyRe: Taking the Kona Plunge
by on Feb 12, 2003 at 4:27:35 am

The Medea RT's may not have the datarate for 10 bit as individual units, but should work when two are striped together over the Atto. I'll let you know what I find out.

I got the Hotronic AD/DA's from Markertek.

Dave

Dave Beaty
Dreamtime Entertainment

Return to posts index

Bob ZelinRe: Taking the Kona Plunge
by on Feb 12, 2003 at 4:14:14 am

The Medea RT's will not be fast enought. Get the Medea RTR or RTRX, or a standard SCSI array (from Rorke, Storcase, etc).
I am very surprised that you are using the Hotronics A/D D/A boxes. I use a Hotronics AP-41 in almost every AVID system I build, and it's a real piece of crap, but it's cheap and rackmountable, and lets me lock up a VHS or old 3/4" to the AVID composite input. If I were you, I would consider the AJA D10AD and D10CE, or the ProMax DA Max converters. There are plenty of other fine manufacturers of A/D and D/A converters, like Leitch, Ensemble Design, Miranda, Cobalt Digital. I think you may be making a big mistake with the Hotronics. If you need everything in a rack box, AJA sells the empty chassis, with the cards that go into the slots, so you don't have the little boxes with external power supplys. It just costs more money.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Grant PettyRe: Taking the Kona Plunge
by on Feb 12, 2003 at 4:32:07 am

Hi,

Yes, Bob's right, Medea worked on the RTR disk, and have new firmeare for OS X compatibility (v148), so this works great now. As for the RT version, I don't know if they have this disk working well on OS X yet.

Regards,

Grant Petty
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

JaredRe: Taking the Kona Plunge
by on Feb 12, 2003 at 6:15:58 pm

I have a media RT raid from another system that I have been using without any problems (I have not tried 10 bit, but 8 bit and JPEG work fine). But why risk it? If you do end up putting two media RTs together, I will be curious to see how it works.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 12, 2003 at 5:03:57 am

>>I use a Hotronics AP-41 in almost every AVID system I build, and it's a real piece of crap ... I think you may be making a big mistake with the Hotronics<<<

I'm concerned that you feel so strongly Bob. Anything specific I should look at on the outputs or is it just an overall impression of craftsmanship?

Dave Beaty
Dreamtime Entertainment

Return to posts index

Itamar KoolRe: Taking the Kona Plunge
by on Feb 12, 2003 at 8:22:14 am

Yeah, I'm also curious why you're saying that. I also use the Hotronic converter, and apart from the noise it makes, the picture I get looks good to me.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 12, 2003 at 1:29:34 pm

Itamar,

You're right. They have internal cooling fans. I look at that as something good, once you get past the fan sound. Dave

Dave Beaty
Dreamtime Entertainment

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]