Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AJA:AJA io ForumAJA Kona ForumAJA Xena ForumAJA io TutorialsAJA Kona TutorialsAJA Xena TutorialsAJA

Press Release

COW Forums : AJA Kona

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Charles F. McConathyPress Release
by on Sep 26, 2002 at 6:59:46 pm

ProMax Offers DA-MAX+ as Break-Out-Box For AJA Video Kona SD/HD
Uncompressed Video Editing Cards

September 12, 2002 - Irvine, CA - ProMax Systems, Inc., a leader in digital video editing solutions, is shipping their rack mountable DA-MAX+ configured as a break-out-box for AJA Video’s Kona SD uncompressed video editing cards. The availability of DA-MAX+ is immediate and can be ordered from ProMax with a price of $1795.

The DA-MAX+ is easy to connect to the input/output cables of the Kona SD cards. The DA-MAX+ is a bidirectional media converter that is designed to bridge between analog and digital audio/video formats. This rack-mountable box features analog video and audio I/O, digital video (SDI) and digital audio (AES/EBU) support as well as standard DV over 1394/FireWire.

Multi-Format Converter: The DA-MAX+ analog video decoder, converts CVBS (BNC), S-Video (4-pin DIN) or Component (BNC x 3) analog video input into an 8-bit digital video stream. The video decoder features two 10-Bit A/D converters. The complimentary 10-bit analog video encoder converts the digital video stream to CVBS (BNC), S-Video (4-pin DIN) and Component (BNC x 3) video outputs. The digital I/O option adds 270 MBit SMPTE 259M SDI capabilities. This makes possible conversions to and from DV to SDI, composite, S-Video, and component video to and from SDI.

DA-MAX+ processes analog audio via a high-resolution two-channel (stereo) 20-bit audio CODEC. The audio CODEC is fed by either balanced (XLR) or unbalanced (RCA) analog audio inputs. The CODEC outputs analog audio simultaneously in both balanced and unbalanced formats. Sampling rates of either 32, 44.1 or 48 kHz are supported. Additionally, the digital I/O board includes an AES/EBU connection with both balanced (XLR) and unbalanced (RCA) connections.

Control: DA-MAX+ can be controlled via front panel selector switches or by a FireWire connection to a computer. On the front-panel of the DA-MAX+ the user can select the video and audio input (all outputs are simultaneously active). In computer control mode, a software application program that is included with DA-MAX+ allows the user to select the input. The user can control: 1) Analog Video Input Proc Amp: Hue, Brightness, Saturation and Contrast. 2) Audio Video Output Proc Amp: Hue, Brightness, Saturation and Contrast R-Y & B-Y Scaling, Setup. 3) Analog Audio Out Volume Level.

ProMax specializes in turnkey video editing systems with solutions from Apple, Adobe, AJA, Avid, ATTO, Adaptec, Bogen, Boris, Canon, CobraCrane, IBM, JVC, Mackie, Matrox, Pinnacle, Seagate, Sony, SteadyTracker, and others. For more information EMAIL: mcconathy@promax.com or visit http://www.promax.com.

For More Information Contact:
Charles F. McConathy
mcconathy@promax.com

Return to posts index

Neil SadwelkarRe: Press Release
by on Sep 27, 2002 at 5:30:25 pm

[Charles F. McConathy] "Multi-Format Converter: The DA-MAX+ analog video decoder, converts CVBS (BNC), S-Video (4-pin DIN) or Component (BNC x 3) analog video input into an 8-bit digital video stream. The video decoder features two 10-Bit A/D converters. "

Sorry to sound naive, but does this imply that the DA-Max will do a 8-bit A-D conversion from, say, component Analog to SDI and then the Kona will receive that 8-bit quantized digital feed and store it as a 10-bit SDI signal.

Also in the audio section what happens if one feeds a 24-bit DAT recording through AES into the DA Max. I believe that FCP only "does" 16 bit audio.

Neil

Return to posts index

Charles F. McConathyRe: Press Release
by on Sep 27, 2002 at 7:27:48 pm

[Neil Sadwelkar] "Sorry to sound naive, but does this imply that the DA-Max will do a 8-bit A-D conversion from, say, component Analog to SDI and then the Kona will receive that 8-bit quantized digital feed and store it as a 10-bit SDI signal.

Also in the audio section what happens if one feeds a 24-bit DAT recording through AES into the DA Max. I believe that FCP only "does" 16 bit audio. "

Yes the DA-MAX+ will convert analog video (S-Video and Component) to SDI and Kona will store it at 10-bit.

As to audio...The AES/EBU input samples at 20bit and then to 16 or 12 bit via Final Cut Pro.

Hope this helps.

Charles F. McConathy
http://www.promax.com

Return to posts index

Marco SolorioRe: Press Release
by on Sep 27, 2002 at 8:19:24 pm

[Charles F. McConathy] "Yes the DA-MAX+ will convert analog video (S-Video and Component) to SDI and Kona will store it at 10-bit."

I think what Neil is asking is if the DAC conversion process itself is 10-bit so that when Kona saves it at 10-bit, it's a 10-bit file with 10-bit info as opposed to a 10-bit file with truncated 8-bit info.

From what I understand though, the DA-Max+ DAC *is* 10-bit, so the file should in fact be a true 10-bit file. Charles will have to confirm.

Marco Solorio  |  OneRiver Media

Return to posts index

Charles F. McConathyRe: Press Release
by on Sep 27, 2002 at 9:27:56 pm

[Marco Solorio] "From what I understand though, the DA-Max+ DAC *is* 10-bit, so the file should in fact be a true 10-bit file. Charles will have to confirm."

Confirm...it is true 10-bit.

Charles F. McConathy
http://www.promax.com

Return to posts index

Darby MarriottRe: Press Release
by on Sep 27, 2002 at 9:41:08 pm

"The DA-MAX+ analog video decoder, converts CVBS (BNC), S-Video (4-pin DIN) or Component (BNC x 3) analog video input into an 8-bit digital video stream."

Charles, you might want to change this description in the future so that people do not further confuse this 8-bit/10-bit issue. Great to hear that it is indeed 10-bit though. I tested an early model of the DA-MAX+ and can attest that it worked great using component, DV, and SDI, but at the time did have some issues with S-Video and composite.

Darby Marriott

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]