Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AJA:AJA io ForumAJA Kona ForumAJA Xena ForumAJA io TutorialsAJA Kona TutorialsAJA Xena TutorialsAJA

Single field in SD?

COW Forums : AJA Kona

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Shane BettsSingle field in SD?
by on Aug 16, 2002 at 11:42:58 am

Still waiting on our demo card so excuse me if this is a stupid question.

Old Avid editors like me often ask about single field resolutions. Does the Kona-SD offer single field or plan to? Personally, I never bought the whole fake film look thing myself but a lot of people still ask about it.

And you think you're greedy Marco;-)

Cheers
Shane Betts

Return to posts index

Marco SolorioRe: Single field in SD?
by on Aug 16, 2002 at 10:36:47 pm

I've only seen the single-field option in systems where it was used for offline purposes (Media 100 and Fast VM Studio Plus for example). Are you saying you'd like to see the option for an online purpose? The problem is when a still frame is displayed and everything steps like crazy.

So as of current, the Kona does not have a single-field option when capturing. I don't see them implementing this into the system, but I could be wrong and AJA/BMD will need to speak for themselves. I'm sure if enough people asked for it they'd put it in though!

And yes, I am greedy when I want new features!!!! =)

Marco Solorio  |  OneRiver Media

Return to posts index

Grant PettyRe: Single field in SD?
by on Aug 17, 2002 at 4:43:11 am

Hi,

Yes, I know about this idea, and it's really common in PAL, as it makes video look more like film. It is possible, and something to look at.

Regards,

Grant
Blackmagic Design
http://www.blackmagic-design.com

Return to posts index

Shane BettsRe: Single field in SD?
by on Aug 17, 2002 at 8:42:57 am

Thanks Grant. Can't ask for more than that.

Personally I think that there are plenty of very effective film-look plug-ins that do the job much better than adding frame frame flicker:-) but at least now I can say "Yes, that's on it's way - but have a look at how much better this looks..."

Cheers
Shane Betts

Return to posts index

Neil SadwelkarRe: Single field in SD?
by on Aug 20, 2002 at 5:51:11 am

Actually if Avid folks ask for single-field resolutions they may do so because that's what they're used to, Avids have been having single-field res for over a decade now.

And not because it looked like film, but because single field saves space. And back in the early nineties, when a 2 GB SCSI cost a fortune, you had to do everything possible to make an entire feature's rushes fit into, say 4 - 10 GB.

Hence AVR 3s, 5s etc.

Incidentally you couldn't (and still can't) mix single-field and interlaced in one timeline.

Neil

Return to posts index

Grant PettyRe: Single field in SD?
by on Aug 20, 2002 at 6:07:56 am

Hi,

This reminds me of a funny situation we had in telecine.

We had just upgraded the Ursa telecine with a feature called silk scan (I think, it was a long time ago)

Anyway, this allowed a pan in telecine to look smoother, by shifting the fields to simulate an electronic pan. The horizontal pan on film would look smooth, and not jumpy.

The problem is when it got into offline, the Avid was only single field, and took out the silk scan effect. The pans were back to jumpy, and the client freaked out totally.

When they asked, I realized it was the Avid, and we had to show the clients the rushes tape to calm them down. They thought we were cheating them.

Regards,

Grant Petty
Blackmagic Design
http://www.blackmagic-design.com

Return to posts index

Marco SolorioRe: Single field in SD?
by on Aug 20, 2002 at 7:16:40 am

But why use single field video for space saving now when you can use PhotoJPEG at full D1 resolution with variable compression? As I said in my oringal reply to this thread, "I've only seen the single-field option in systems where it was used for offline purposes (Media 100 and Fast VM Studio Plus for example)."

IDE hard drives are cheap. Throw one or two drives in the G4 for PhotoJPEG and you'll have hours, if not days of storage supply. Woohoo!

Marco Solorio  |  OneRiver Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]