Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AJA:AJA io ForumAJA Kona ForumAJA Xena ForumAJA io TutorialsAJA Kona TutorialsAJA Xena TutorialsAJA

2 questions on article

COW Forums : AJA Kona

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Corbin Supak2 questions on article
by on Aug 2, 2002 at 11:54:06 pm

Thanks for the thorough review, very exciting news.

1st ?: Were you using FCP 3.0.2 on OS 10.2 (Jaguar)? It's not supported, right?

2nd ?: You mentioned the 75% JPEG compression quality as being really nice. How would it measure up to the Media100 codec at 150KB or at 300KB? And all is well using 7200rpm IDE Drives like those typically used with DV?

Return to posts index

Marco SolorioRe: 2 questions on article
by on Aug 3, 2002 at 2:16:42 am

1. I first tested on FCP 3.0 and then 3.0.2. Everything was done on OSX 10.1.5. However, the Blackmagic guys have been thoroughly testing on Jaguar and are very excited with their results. In a nutshell, they are quite anxious for people to get Jaguar because it's so much better than 10.1.5. Full frame, full motion previews on capture windows in FCP for one example. So yes, it is supported.

2. You know, I used a M100 for 5 years, but I can't say for sure how it compares to its 150k or 300k setting. This you can compare for yourself actually. Render a few seconds of footage or animation using the Photo-JPEG codec at 75% quality and presto... instant quality evaluation!!! =) Don't forget too that like DV, the compression artifacts wont show up as badly when it's viewed on an NTSC/PAL monitor. Believe me, using Photo-JPEG for Kona offline is truly awesome. None of this blow-up crap... it's all true D1 spec.

Marco Solorio  |  OneRiver Media
AJA Kona and Aurora Igniter forum leader @ CreativeCow.net

Return to posts index

Michael HortonRe: 2 questions on article
by on Aug 3, 2002 at 8:20:28 pm

Spent a good half hour with Ted Shilowitz(sp) of AJA at the LADV show showing off the new drivers and all I can say is what everyone else was saying when they saw the offline codec. "OH MY GOD!!!" It is truly spectacular.

I honestly could not tell the difference between an uncompressed image and the offline image. It is THAT clean.

One of my friends who has a telecine background was fooled.

Amazing card. The DV in and SDI Out feature is truly awesome. Congrats to Grants Team. There must be something good in the water down under is all I can say.

BTW Marco, just finished your article and it was great and very informative as usual.

Also lafcpug will be having Ted show off the card at our next meeting Aug 28th. Hopefully Grants team will have even more cool stuff to show by then.

Looking forward

Michael Horton
"HeadCutter"
Los Angeles Final Cut Pro User Group
http://www.lafcpug.org

Return to posts index

Marco SolorioYes, Photo-JPEG Offline IS awesome!
by on Aug 3, 2002 at 11:06:12 pm

Yeah, these guys are performing some serious magic tricks! It's really nice to finally see this card blossom into a serious powerhouse.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the article and thanks for the kind words.

I wish I could make it to the LAFCPUG meeting on the 28th. I know the Kona card will be the hit of the show. And you're right, maybe they'll sqeeze in a new feature or two by then! One can only hope! Needless to say, I'm sure it'll be a full house.

I do have to admit that seeing the Photo-JPEG offline mode for the first time was not as shocking for me, only because since I've been an Aurora Igniter user, Aurora MJPEG-A offline looks just as good (sorry AJA guys!). But this is good because to implement this feature is incredibly critical at this point in time with the "capture card race" at hand. Dispite my lack of being overwhelmed by the quality of the Kona offline, I was extremely excited that they implimented it. So which every way you look at it (either quality or implementation), this is a major advancement for Kona in my perspective.

Don't get me wrong though... Kona's Photo-JPEG offline is truly eye-popping amazing. The cool thing about the Photo-JPEG codec is that you can run it in 4:4:4 too! But since it's lossy (and can only playback up to 75%), it doesn't really matter anyway.

IMHO, the true merits of a quality NLE system will have true D1 offline implementation. But of course, others may disagree and I'm fine with that! =)

Return to posts index

Allen DeBevoiseRe: 2 questions on article
by on Aug 4, 2002 at 5:39:34 pm

What about the 7200rpm IDE drives question? Is this a problem?

Return to posts index

Marco SolorioRe: 2 questions on article
by on Aug 4, 2002 at 9:38:38 pm

7200 RPM IDE drives should be fine, granted they are internal and not FireWire drives. My experience with Aurora Igniter and the MJPEG-A offline codec was fine on IDE drives. I haven't done enough testing to ensure IDE drives will work 100% the Kona Photo-JPEG offline codec, but in reality, it should be fine and according to AJA, it's fine.

Return to posts index

Grant PettyRe: 2 questions on article
by on Aug 3, 2002 at 8:02:33 am

Hi,

On Jaguar compatibility. We cannot really comment much about this beyond what was in the MacWorld NY keynote speech, however the Kona SD v2.1 and later are working great in OS X 10.2 Jaguar.

Everything is working fine, and all third party applications we have tried work fine.

I'll email more updates late August when we can speak about Mac OS X 10.2 in detail, as then it will be released, and so we won't be under any non disclosure agreements for it. One things for sure, it's going to be an update that is worth every cent. As you can see if you watch the Keynote from MacWorld on the Apple QuickTime page, there is just so much in it.

We've been extremely happy with Mac OS X 10.1, however this new version is even more incredible.

Regards,

Grant
Blackmagic Design
http://www.blackmagic-design.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]