Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MEDIA 100:Media 100 844/X ForumMedia 100 ForumMedia 100 TutorialsMedia 100

File sharing with a Mac

COW Forums : Media 100 844/X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
CUTFile sharing with a Mac
by on Aug 25, 2004 at 5:18:24 pm

I am working out file sharing with a Mac work station and our 844x. I can get files transfered from one system to the other, but if I copy the file from the 844x to the mac, my mac does not recognize the file as a quick time movie. The 844 files all have the .mov extention and will play fine in other applications but when I look at the file info the mac says the file is a TextEdit Document. Has anyone else encountered this or know how to right this wrong. Thanks for you help.

Doug Ohlsen

Return to posts index

Matt CaravellaRe: File sharing with a Mac
by on Aug 25, 2004 at 7:48:07 pm

Can you please specify how you are transfering the files (interface and protocol).My understanding is that some file resource information can be lost during transfer if you don't use the SMB protocol within OS X.
You should be able to change the file type or at least fool OS X into seeing the files as Quicktime Movies by changing the "Open with" preferences for the 844/X movie files.

Get me some specifics and I'd be glad to help you out.

Return to posts index

CUTMatt Re: File sharing with a Mac
by on Aug 26, 2004 at 5:27:59 pm

I want to start by apologizing for my very feeble understanding of networks and how they operate. I will try to give the information you ask for but may not have it all, or know where to look. My Mac is a G5 running OS 10.3.4. Window machine is running XP pro. We installed an application called PC/Mac Lan on the windows box that has allowed the 2 machines to talk to each other. The computers are connected through a gigabit switch. I am just mounting the raid from the windows computer through the mac's connect to server option. Then dragging the files from the windows machine to the Mac desktop or raid. The Mac is using the built in ethernet setting and is configured to use DHCP. AppleTalk is active and the Ethernet is set to configure automatically. Is this the info you were looking for

Return to posts index

Matt CaravellaRe: Matt Re: File sharing with a Mac
by on Aug 26, 2004 at 6:30:55 pm

Yup, that's the stuff!
Let me run some tests and I'll get back to you soon.
Are the files at least working for you in the meantime?

Return to posts index

CUTRe: Matt Re: File sharing with a Mac
by on Aug 26, 2004 at 8:25:49 pm

Yes they work just fine it is more of a quality of life issue, and perhaps to much time on my hands.

Doug

Doug Ohlsen
G5 Dual 2 Gig, OSX 10.3.3
CW 4.6 RTPRO66, FCPHD 4.5, QT 6.5.1, XRAID

Return to posts index

Espen OlsenRe: File sharing with a Mac
by on Aug 30, 2004 at 5:40:53 pm

I dont know why your files doesn't play when double-clicking on the mac (they do on my end) but ...

You really dont need PC/Mac Lan to share between the two machines.

When using the Connect to on the Mac, the workgroup which your PC is a part of should appear. Choose the PC and the shared volume.
You of course have to enable sharing for individual volumes on the PC in the Properties->Sharing->Share this volume on the network.

To see your Mac-files on the PC:

Enable Windows file Sharing in System preferences->Sharing

This will only allow acces to the home directory of the user you log in as. To get access to other volumes you need to get Sharepoints:

http://www.hornware.com/sharepoints

This control panel lets you share any volume on your Mac over SMB.

To make it tidy and add your Mac to the same workgroup as the rest of your PCs, open Directory Access (Applications->utilities) Select SMB and type the same workgroup name as your PC.

Hope this helps.

Espen Olsen

Lyd & Bilde as
Oslo, Norway

Return to posts index

Matt CaravellaRe: Matt Re: File sharing with a Mac
by on Sep 1, 2004 at 6:45:33 pm

Another Question for you.
Are you using OS 9 or OS X?
With PC/Mac Lan, I am seeing the same issue you are. I am waiting on a response from Miramar Systems to see if they know why this might be happening.
Using Mac OS X and XP with the suggestions from Epsen, I don't see this issue. Meaning, the files maintain the file type info.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]