Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MEDIA 100:Media 100 844/X ForumMedia 100 ForumMedia 100 TutorialsMedia 100

Yet another....Buying advice thread.

COW Forums : Media 100 844/X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Nate EmbryYet another....Buying advice thread.
by on Dec 1, 2003 at 7:47:52 pm

OK, I've posted here before about how I will be getting a new 844 Xi system sometime around April '04. The company I work for likes the Media 100 products(We currently own 2 M100i XS systems), but with Media 100 falling stock prices I'm a little scared to invest $30,000 in the system. A few friends of mine around town own Matrox DigiSuite systems with the Incite editor. Now, I've never actually seen what this system can do in person. All of them talk about how great it is and at 1/3 the cost of the 844X it sounds interesting. Also, we could afford to get it right away verses waiting for the money for the 844X. I was just wanting a comparasion between the two syatems if anyone is familiar with it. I want the best quality that I can get. The Xblur option looks great but we couldn't afford it right now. I have currently maxed out my Media 100i and it is holding me back on a lot of things I do. I do a lot of car commercials where composting is a must. Also lots of chroma keying. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Return to posts index

lagoonRe: Yet another....Buying advice thread.
by on Dec 1, 2003 at 8:13:10 pm

hey, i can answer that pretty much in detail as i have both systems ;)

simply, it is a total different class.

incide. good editor, some useful realtimes functions, interesting for broadcast puposes as it can be networked in many intelligent ways. also some fancy hybrid LE/NLE functions. Good audio if one uses the mykonos board (without its not so good, rather goof)

quality of video : low, 8 bit. quality of FX : low, linear filtering. no transfer modes. not suitable for finishing & compositing. Its an editor, not a finishing system.
Futureproof : No HD-roadmap with Digisuite (which 12 years old, btw), no 24P, no PullUp/Down. Complex FX which are used day by day (as gaussian blur, real good keying, complex scale/masking, deinterlacing, colorcorrection) have to be rendered slowly.

go for 844/X if you want to do REAL good work in finishing and get REALLY in front of your competition, go with incite+combustion/AE if you want to do what you basicly do with your elder M100s already now.

Also, regarding the concerns towards M100: Incite is a VERY small company wuth a VERY unclear future.
Furthermore, even if M100 would be crushed by a meteor in Q1/2004 and 844/X would not develop any further (which will not happen ;) already now the 844/X is ahead of every other system in terms of speed, has reached a state in which one can do 90% of all necessary functions inside the 844/X. I have to admit that for raw editing i still use discreet edit often (we have 3 systems), even as the product has bee killed by discreets missing logic. Why? It gets the job done and is perfectly fast for editing ;).

844/X is the single system which can run circles around Avid DS, discreet smoke/fire (which we use here as well) and Quantel e/iQ. It has some missing functions (tracker) but quality is top-notch and its the industries speediest box.

If you buy one, get yourself the xblur. this little beast is just a total WOW!

cheers : blue

ps:
donĀ“t get me wrong, i do think incite is a good product, so we bought one. its ok. but it is really a different league. compare incite to the EDITING products like dps velocity, avid xpress, fast silver etc, the price class of incite, not to the royal class of FINISHING systems. for this class of systems, 844/X is a good deal, not if you "only" want to have a "usual" NLE.

Return to posts index

BenRRe: Yet another....Buying advice thread.
by on Dec 1, 2003 at 8:39:34 pm

Nate, I agree with Lagoon... 844/X is a finishing system, while DigiSuite remains a lower-end solution. As much as I dislike FCP and what Satan (Steve Jobs) is doing to the Post world and our salaries in general, it's still a better buy than DigiSuite. Until recently I was soley working on the 844; however, recent events have sent me back into the Post world and back to Smoke & Avid. I miss my Xe w/XBlur... It's a crying shame the company is tanking because 844/X is truly revolutionary.

Good luck. It's a tough decision.

Return to posts index

Nate EmbryRe: Yet another....Buying advice thread.
by on Dec 1, 2003 at 8:54:07 pm

Thanks lagoon. Thats pretty much what I thought. You are the first one that confirms the no transfer modes in incite thing. I use transfer mode daily. Real time transfers would be sweet. Well, I'm going to go take a look at a friends system next week, but I think I'm leaning more to the 844X. Thanks

Return to posts index

JohnRe: Yet another....Buying advice thread.
by on Dec 3, 2003 at 3:10:07 am

lagoon
how do you use combustion with your 844?
i'm looking at adding it to the mix

what kind of work and whats your workflow process?

we have media100i's x 3 and one x 844 system

john

Return to posts index

JohnRe: Yet another....Buying advice thread.
by on Dec 3, 2003 at 3:10:55 am

lagoon
how do you use combustion with your 844?
i'm looking at adding it to the mix

what kind of work and whats your workflow process?

we have media100i's x 3 and one x 844 system

john

Return to posts index

lagoonRe: Yet another....Buying advice thread.
by on Dec 3, 2003 at 4:39:19 am

[John] "how do you use combustion with your 844? "
via instant media. as there is no TL-integration (yet), we do self-contained QTs of the TLs.

[John] "i'm looking at adding it to the mix "
recommended by the doctor ;)

[John] "what kind of work and whats your workflow process? "
work : almost anything from short to long, from TV to cinema.
workflow : mostly we do access the 844/X files via network in the background to keep the 844/X free, but if we need the framebuffer (colorcorrection etc) we often use it on 844/X as well. Also, when it fits in the jobs timetable, we use the _fast_ combustion rendering of the 844/X workstation.

But most of the time, we try to finish everything inside of the 844/X.

BTW : nice additional gizmo for the 844/X is realviz retimer.

cheers : blue

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]