Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Apple Releases OS 10.3.5... Any Brave Souls?

COW Forums : Pinnacle CineWave

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Sam GoldsteinApple Releases OS 10.3.5... Any Brave Souls?
by on Aug 10, 2004 at 1:36:19 pm

Anyone out there got the nuts to upgrade yet?

Return to posts index

Bob VickRe: Apple Releases OS 10.3.5... Any Brave Souls?
by on Aug 10, 2004 at 1:46:16 pm

[Sam Goldstein] "Anyone out there got the nuts to upgrade yet?"

Depends... how much does "your" Mac mean to "your" livelihood?

b

Bob Vick sr promo guy @ ch3 wwmt tv, kalamazoo, mi • G5 DUAL2, 10.3.4, FCPHD, CINEWAVE 4.6/33, ATTO UL3D, QT6.5.1, RORKE DATA 4X73 w/10K Seagate

Return to posts index

Walter BiscardiRe: Apple Releases OS 10.3.5... Any Brave Souls?
by on Aug 10, 2004 at 2:32:26 pm

10.3.5 is running perfectly on my Dual 2.0 with the PipePro. We're updating our CineWave system later today.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Owner/Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
http://www.biscardicreative.com

G4 DP 1.25 w/FCP 4.1.1 & CineWave 4.5
G5 DP 2.0 w/FCP 4.5 & Aurora PipePro

Return to posts index

Tony!Re: Apple Releases OS 10.3.5... Any Brave Souls?
by on Aug 11, 2004 at 11:06:23 pm

[Walter Biscardi] "10.3.5 is running perfectly on my Dual 2.0 with the PipePro. We're updating our CineWave system later today."

Hi Walter, I know its to early to say for sure, but is 10.3.5 working with your Cinewave so far?

Tony!

Return to posts index

by on Aug 12, 2004 at 10:59:40 am

[Tony!] "Hi Walter, I know its to early to say for sure, but is 10.3.5 working with your Cinewave so far?"

That system currently has a Huge DualMax (for the moment) attached and as noted below, that doesn't work with OS 10.3.5. So we'll be looking at other storage for that system. The Dual 2.0 with the PipePro, LaCie Big Disk Extreme and the Medea RTRX is all running well with 10.3.5.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

Tony!Re: Apple Releases OS 10.3.5... Any Brave Souls?
by on Aug 12, 2004 at 6:31:19 pm

[Walter Biscardi] "That system currently has a Huge DualMax (for the moment) attached and as noted below, that doesn't work with OS 10.3.5. So we'll be looking at other storage for that system. The Dual 2.0 with the PipePro, LaCie Big Disk Extreme and the Medea RTRX is all running well with 10.3.5. "

I went ahead and did the update and all is well so far. My Xserve RAID is working fine with 10.3.5 on my Cinewave system as well (so far).

Tony!

Return to posts index

Scott ShucherRe: Apple Releases OS 10.3.5... Any Brave Souls?
by on Aug 10, 2004 at 10:22:35 pm

It looks like Motion, which was released today, requires 10.3.5

I'm going to guess some of us will give it a shot sooner, rather than later,
just to get our hands on Motion.

Scott Shucher
AppleCart Digital Video
http://www.applecart.tv

G4 1ghz DP, 1.5Gbyte RAM, FCP HD 4.5
QT6.5.1, CW 4.6, Pro Analog BOB, Atto UL3D, Medea RTRX640, Huge MV 1.8Tbyte, Stealth Serial Control, Radeon 9000

Return to posts index

by on Aug 11, 2004 at 3:07:45 am

Yep, Motion requires 10.3.5. Both FCP and Motion run rock solid with 10.3.5 on a Dual 2.0.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

Sam GoldsteinRe: Apple Releases OS 10.3.5... Any Brave Souls?
by on Aug 11, 2004 at 4:21:17 pm

I know I'm crazy, but I went for all the updates from apple, including the new ones they added today (Pro Support and something else). All seems to be working fine.

InHouse Productions: G5 DP 2.0 - CineWave 4.6

Return to posts index

Chris PaulRe: Apple Releases OS 10.3.5... Any Brave Souls?
by on Aug 11, 2004 at 10:52:06 pm

I spoke to an engineer from HUGE systems today. He said that 10.3.5 causes some of their dual arrays to unstripe- one side of the array simply disappears, much as what happened with OSX 10.3.3. I would strongly caution Cinewave users to wait until Pinnacle approves 10.3.5 and absolutely say that users with HUGE dual arrays should wait until this issue is resolved.

Return to posts index

Lance R. GropperRe: Apple Releases OS 10.3.5... Any Brave Souls?
by on Aug 13, 2004 at 12:37:18 am

[Chris Paul] "wait until Pinnacle approves 10.3.5 and absolutely say that users with HUGE dual arrays should wait until "

Waiting on Pinnacle okay is the right thing to do.

One item to check if you have the original U160 class product, is to make sure the Huge has the lastest 0512 or E512 firmware. Products manufactured after Nov 2003 would have this firmware. So serial number ending 3Jxxx would not likely have the latest firmware.

Today we fixed a couple of users by this alone.

Return to posts index

Dale LaunerRe: Apple Releases OS 10.3.5... Any Brave Souls?
by on Aug 13, 2004 at 12:54:12 am

I was at Siggraph yesterday, hung around for the MOTION demo - was impressed. Bought it, just sat down to install it when I read it need 10.3.5. 3.5? When the hell was 3.5 released? That's new.

And now I hear - here - that my Huge Dual Maxs won't work? I have four of these.

Will this be a problem be fixes.

And this is stupid, but I'll ask anyway - how long?

Return to posts index

Robert Leong - HUGE SupportRe: Apple Releases OS 10.3.5... Any Brave Souls?
by on Aug 13, 2004 at 3:06:30 am

[Dale Launer] "And now I hear - here - that my Huge Dual Maxs won't work?"

Hi Dale, see my post reply over at the Huge forum.

Robert Leong / HUGE Technical Support

Return to posts index

by on Aug 14, 2004 at 11:38:25 pm

I have a G5/2GHZ, 3 Dual Max 1.2s, 1 DualMax 1.8, UL3D, CINEWAVE, HD BOB, FCP 4.5 and CW 4.6. ..

And fresh copy of Motion! Well, I figured I'd do a little experiment and loaded up everything on an extrernal firewire drive. I have one with Jaguar on it (that was my Jaguar test drive to make sure everything was working before I jumped horses in mid stream).

I'm not sure sure if one can UNINSTALL OS version (my Thinkpad laptop has something that allows you to return to different configurations in case something doesn't work - wouldn't that be nice on a Mac?)

Well, all my Huge arrays had older firmware - (that's what happens when you're an "early' adopter). I bumped up the external firewire drive to OS X 10.3.5. I successfuly upgraded the firmware on three of the four HUGE drives (my Thinkpad had a hard drive crash yesterday - first time in my life - awful). I installed the latest ATTO driver for the UL3D and made sure they had the latest firware (as per Lance Gropper's recommendation). And they showed up find on the desk top. And I ran a speed test - as fast or faster than before (that's nice!)

Then I bumped up the QT, and then FCP on the drive from 4.02 to 4.5, and the CW up to 4.6.

And I booted up with three HUGE arrays on - got a six beep warning from one of the HUGEs, and then the system wouldn't boot - the blue bar says "waiting for local drives" and it just stops. I checked one of the Huge drives and despite the fact four lights were on before I tried booting up - it now had three lights on. So I shut down and tried two Huge arrays. Four lights on each, no problem, but got the same problem. Tried it with one, and that one gave me the 6 beep admonishment. Now I can't see any of the Huge drives on the desk top. So I shut it down, shut those off, and installed Motion anyway - hell I'll just run it off the FW 10.3.5 and export and reboot.

But Motion isn't working right - I'll play with it some more this afternoon.

Still, I wonder what I did wrong - how could FCP and CW 4.6 make trouble for the HUGE? Damn - if it all worked I'd do all the bump-ups it on the internal home drive.

Hm...any ideas?

Has anyone got a Cinewave, HUGE, G5 rig to work with 10.3.5 yet? Will post again if I can figure it out.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 16, 2004 at 1:12:19 am

Well, I tried it again, but this time I reformatted the FW drive and did a clean install. A big hassle, and did permission repair after each install.

And guess what? STILL doesn't work. If I turn on the HUGE arrays and boot up the G5, the second check for local disks hangs up the computer (with six beeps from the HUGE - in which case one of the four yellow lights turns off). The blue bar gets about 3/4 of the way to Nirvana and then....just stays there.

Maybe ATTO's current drivers don't work with OS 10.3.5?

Wait, no, I'm pretty I got it running in OS 10.3.5. yesterday - before I upgraded FCP from 4.02 to 4.5, and BEFORE the upgrade to CW 4.6.

Doesn't seem right, but I'm sure someone here (like Robert!) will explain all things tomorrow.

Dale Launer
writer.filmmaker
G5/Cinewave/Huge user

Return to posts index

by on Aug 22, 2004 at 10:13:51 am

Okay, turns out that one of the HUGE wasn't taking the firware update - I talked to Lance who told me that when going through the Mac and the Keyspan port - it might take a few attempts. Now everything is up and running and seems to work fine - all the drives mount - as faster or faster than ever before.

I have some other bugaboos - but I suspect that OS X doesn't like to be booted off a firewire drive. Just to make sure, I'm going to put another drive in the G5 and make that the 10.3.5 drive. But I wanted to bump up to 10.3.5 so I could use MOTION, but its not quite working right and I suspect it's because of the firewire drive (which is FW v.1, not FW 800).

Thanks for all the support! I should have posted sooner.

Return to posts index

Johan EdstromRe: Apple Releases OS 10.3.5... Any Brave Souls?
by on Aug 22, 2004 at 12:58:49 pm

There shouldn't be any problem booting off a FW400 drive. It's not an ideal set-up for the long run but it should work well as a temporary measure.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 24, 2004 at 3:14:22 am

Actually - now I've gone ahead and RTFM - at least the Installing Your Software pdf file that comes with Motion - article 8 says...

"Note: The destination disk must be a boot disk..."

Also keep in mind I did a lazy man's install - I left the Atto and CineWave cards in the G5 when I did all my installations. This is probably not the best way to do this - I think the best way - or the most prudent way anyway - is to install one thing at a time - and run Repair Permissions after each install. Like I said, I left the cards in - and it was encouraging. Now to install it on a boot drive.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 26, 2004 at 9:17:07 am

Well - I bit the bullet and just upgraded the main Mac drive to 10.3.5 . I opened up FCP (I have CineWave HD BTW) and things seem to run okay (tried running a whole feature, but it stopped when it dropped a frame, but it does that from time to time anyway, nothing unusual. )

I ended up doing about 90 minutes of working - cutting, pasting, rendering. No problems.

I got out and installed Motion. And I opened it up and it appears no problems so far (tried to get some particle animations to do the vortex thing - but it wouldn't work - maybe you can only do that with de facto QT animations.

I made it crash when I tried to open up some HD Targa files. Hey, just wanted to see what would happen. Of course that didn't work.

I bought a hot rod graphics car - which the Motion program seems to want. ATI 9800 Pro Mac Special Edition for the G5. But this is a CineWave site, so its off topic.

But so far - no problems.

Dale Launer
writer.filmmaker
G5/Cinewave/Huge user

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]