Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

2 cinewave systems on one XServe RAID

COW Forums : Pinnacle CineWave

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
gaurav2 cinewave systems on one XServe RAID
by on Jun 14, 2003 at 6:34:17 am

Hi

Asked earlier but never managed to get a solution. Wish to connect 2 Cinewave systems on one 1TB XRAID. has anyone done it or knows it should work but besides just connectivity I am looking for SAN capabilities rather than 2 seperate voulumes. Will I require a SAN software since there is no Fiber switch here in a 2 system setup.

Heard multiple FCP DV systems can be hooked up to a Xserve with XRAID with no need of SAN software.

SAN is still not full swing I guess so apple please buy off a SAN software company and incorporate in the OS.

Also anyone have any technical white paper , please give links.

regards
sharma

Return to posts index

Walter BiscardiRe: 2 cinewave systems on one XServe RAID
by on Jun 15, 2003 at 11:59:30 am

Sharma,

I forwarded your question on to the CineWave team at Pinnacle so hopefully we'll get an answer on Monday!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Final Cut Pro / CineWave Forum / Atlanta FCPUG Host
Owner/Creative Director, d'Arte media creations & Southern Sky Creative
http://www.southernskycreative.com

DP 1.25 / 1.75G RAM / OS 10.2.6 / QT 6.2 / FCP 4.0 / CineWave 3.0.2 / Pinna

Return to posts index

Rune HansenRe: 2 cinewave systems on one XServe RAID
by on Jun 16, 2003 at 2:42:40 am

[ gaurav ] Asked earlier but never managed to get a solution. Wish to connect 2 Cinewave systems on one 1TB XRAID. has anyone done it or knows it should work but besides just connectivity I am looking for SAN capabilities rather than 2 seperate voulumes. Will I require a SAN software since there is no Fiber switch here in a 2 systems.

I've been doing a lot of XServe RAID testing for the expo we have next week, and yes, you can definitely connect two CineWaves to it. You pull one FC cable from array 1 to the first machine, and another cable from array 2 to the second machine. Of course, the storage is exclusive to each editing computer (no SAN functionality), but the disks are more than fast enough to carry SD. Having SAN functionality will require an FC swith in any case, because the array has two independent controllers.

You can also not daisy chain two XServe RAIDs together, because there is no loop-through connectors, again requiring an FC switch.

I have also run HD material off of a 7-disk XServe RAID (with 4 disks on array 1 and 3 disks on array 3, striped in RAID 50) -- works very well indeed, although it seems to be aaaaalmost on the edge of what this setup can handle.

As far as SAN is concerned, a bird whispered "wait for the end of this month to see something really cool" -- whatever that might mean.

--rune

Return to posts index

jean-yves le moineRe: 2 cinewave systems on one XServe RAID
by on Jun 16, 2003 at 11:38:05 am

rune
i like your bird rune

jean-yves le moine

temps réel productions
paris, france
jylem@temps-reel.fr

Return to posts index

Adam DukeRe: 2 cinewave systems on one XServe RAID
by on Jun 17, 2003 at 2:53:47 pm

Rune,
Have you tried a 7 disk RAID 5 on one channel only?
If so, what length of cross-dissolve are you getting in 8 & 16 bit uncompressed?
We initially looked at the Medea RTR/RTS units, but scrapped that idea when we heard they will do only 10 seconds of dual stream dissolve. I was hoping the XSERVE RAID would offer dissolves over 20 seconds - just to be sure... Have you had any experience with this???

Hopefully, if this works, we can designate 1 suite to one side of the Xserver and the other suite to other side.

Thanks for the help

Adam Duke
http://www.dukevideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]