Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Problems with DV editing

COW Forums : Pinnacle CineWave

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Paul JonesProblems with DV editing
by on Feb 27, 2003 at 11:50:09 am

I am using a Cinewave system and I am editing DV material captured via firewire.
The editing is all fine but I am getting very erratic results on the external monitor. Sometimes it doesn't display at all and sometimes when you play the edit it just gives you a freeze frame on the monitor, hence I get the same problem when editing to tape via the breakout box.
I have read a few reports that the Cinewave setup doesn't like the DV codec, could somebody confirm that this is the problem and possibly suggest a way round it as we are going to be using DV more and more now.
My only thought it partitioning the Hard disk and having the Cinewave/FCP setup on one partition and a clean FCP on another partition for DV editing only....is this a possibility and how to do it.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Return to posts index

Walter BiscardiRe: Problems with DV editing
by on Feb 27, 2003 at 1:54:34 pm

We actually have a long thread down below regarding DV editing, though nothing about corrupted files and I've not seen that issue here.

Your thought on seperate partitions is a good one as I have confirmed that if the CineWave drivers do NOT load up, FCP cuts in DV normally, that is, there's no slowdown in the workflow. If the CineWave drivers load up, it slows down the DV pipeline.

Walter Biscardi
Final Cut Pro / CineWave Forum / Atlanta FCPUG Host
Owner/Creative Director, d'Arte media creations
http://www.dartemedia.com

Class on Demand Producer
http://www.classondemand.net

Return to posts index

chrispyRe: Problems with DV editing
by on Feb 27, 2003 at 3:22:26 pm

If you capture DV via Firewire, Cinewave will not display the DV clips on the external monitor via its breakout box. It will however be able to show a single frame using the apple+F12 key to send a frame to the external monitor.

Unfortunately there isn't a Extension Manager type of app in OSX (perhaps there is a shareware somewhere) that allows us to disable the Cinewave driver during startup since it is disrupting DV editing speed.

-chrispy

Return to posts index

Paul JonesRe: Problems with DV editing
by on Feb 27, 2003 at 6:22:14 pm

Thanks guys, at least I know its not something I was doing wrong.

The problem is its not my Cinewave system, I just have a normal FCP suite but I've got to sort the situation.
The G4 in question is full of rubbish that I think its probably best to wipe and reinstall everything, this is why I was considering having an OS9 partition for Cinewave/FCP and OSX partition for a clean FCP install to use with DV only.
Is there anywhere I can get a runthrough of how to do this, and is there anything I should know about the basic OS9 reinstallation of Cinewave/Stealth Port/Raid Drives etc because Im familiar with OSX but not so much OS9

I appreciate your help

Paul

Return to posts index

FoxRe: Problems with DV editing
by on Feb 28, 2003 at 12:24:03 am

Iam not sure why you want to work on os 9, i would prefere to install a second version of os x for dv editing. but take care about not using an matrox rt mac. With rtmac there will be no possibility (at this moment) to start up os x for working with cinewave.

Return to posts index

chrispyRe: Problems with DV editing
by on Feb 28, 2003 at 2:03:25 am

Paul, why don't you setup two OSX partitions, one for Cinewave/OSX and one for FCP/DV/OSX. There should be any conflicts since they are two completely different boot partitions.

-chrispy

Return to posts index

Paul JonesRe: Problems with DV editing
by on Feb 28, 2003 at 1:20:20 pm

My only concern about Cinewave with OSX is it seems evident that a lot of people are having problems after the upgrade, especially with the serial stealth port.
As its not my system I think I'd rather stick with OS9 as I know it works.

Return to posts index

John SutherlandRe: Partitions for OSX
by on Feb 28, 2003 at 2:33:58 pm

I'm a little confused. Does that mean you would make 3 partitions (OS9, OSX, OSX)? On the second OSX partition would you also put a second version of the OS, or just the CineWave stuff? Please clarify, as we're setting up a system that needs to do straight DV for offline and DV projects, but needs to be able to master on CineWave.
Thanks,
John Sutherland

Return to posts index

Bill DavisRe: Partitions for OSX
by on Feb 28, 2003 at 3:48:34 pm

I'm pretty sure chrispy means two unique partitions, each one with its own install of Mac OS 10.2.x, Final Cut Pro, drivers, etc. This would also mean that you would need to manage updates to system software twice and you would have two unique sets of user accounts. While this would work, my preference has been to boot back into 9 for DV work and hope for a fix from someone soon.

Return to posts index

Bill DavisRe: Partitions for OSX
by on Feb 28, 2003 at 3:50:06 pm

The more I think about it, perhaps both OS X partitions would share the same Applications folder. Chrispy, have you tried this?

Return to posts index

Paul JonesRe: Partitions for OSX...confused...yes...
by on Feb 28, 2003 at 5:36:27 pm

All these threads are confusing me even.....

Let me start again,

I have a G4 dual 1 gig mac with Cinewave, I now need to use DV only a lot more via firewire....Ideally I want to partition the drive into two

1st to OS9 for Cinewave and Finalcut Pro.
2nd to OSX For DV Finalcut Pro only via firewire.

The reason for staying with OS9 for Cinewave is purely the fact that Ive seen to many compatibility problems on here with OSX and I'm not sure about OSX drivers for the raid, serial stealth port etc....remember, its not my system and I can't afford any problems and I know it works under OS9

So if this is possible, I'm trying to find out the best way to partition the drive and load both OS's , like which OS do I load first...
Sorry to be so vague but Im not that experienced in OS9.

Thanks again

Paul...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]