Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Congratulations to the Cinewave Team!

COW Forums : Pinnacle CineWave

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Marco SolorioCongratulations to the Cinewave Team!
by on Feb 14, 2003 at 9:01:07 pm

Okay so I don't exactly represent the the level of prestige as a Technical Achievement Oscarâ„¢ Award or anything, but I do want to give a big pat on the back to Brian Shaw, Andrew Baum and the rest of the Macintosh team at Pinnacle for their development of the newly updated OSX codecs for Cinewave.

Some of you kind of wanted a "seal of approval", so here it is:

As many of you know, when I found out that they were implementing filtering options in their OSX codecs, I knew, without even seeing them, that these codecs would be tons better. And I was right! I would have to say the largest improvement is in the 16-bit codec. There is now much more accuracy going on there. My initial testing also shows (what I presumed would be) a great "x10" re-generation test due to the filtering options. By using these filters properly, the difference in quality between an initial 4:2:2 encode and the tenth encode is virtually impossible to see any difference (only in a technical relationship can the difference be seen, but not by the naked eye on images). IOW, that is very cool.

In a nutshell, these are nicely updated codecs. They still hold the same "fingerprint" as the old codec, but the implementation is much, much better. With that, let me give a few suggestions for further improvement:

The 8-bit codec still bands in really tough situations. If Cinewave doesn't implement a 10-bit codec in the future (my ultimate suggestion), then I would prefer seeing a logic-dither system like Igniter uses to do away with banding. However, do keep your filtering options as these are great to have. Maybe even an option to turn logic-dithering on and off.

Again, the 16-bit codec is MUCH improved, but there still lies one problem... there's no option for a Trillions mode! This kind of doesn't make sense since it runs in 16-bit mode! My White Count test shows a very low white count (that's good) but it still isn't as low as the 10-bit BMD trillions codec. In a way though, this is somewhat moot at this point because the improvement on the 16-bit codec is that good.

IMO though, I would still opt to lose the 16-bit codec for a true 10-bit codec with less file size space and equal pixel replication accuracy. Just a thought.

My gripes are truly minimal at best and I do applaud the improvement on these codecs. I will be placing official (favorable) results of these OSX codecs on my codec page in time for the Cow Conference, but I wanted to share the news with the Cinewave Cow Forum folks first.

Maybe Andrew and Brian wont hate me as much now ;-)

Great job and take care,

Marco Solorio | OneRiver Media

Return to posts index

francois.starkRe: Congratulations to the Cinewave Team!
by on Feb 14, 2003 at 10:08:23 pm

From one happy Cinewave customer - thanks for the retesting and updating of your results.

Return to posts index

Rune HansenRe: Congratulations to the Cinewave Team!
by on Feb 14, 2003 at 11:58:27 pm

[ Marco Solorio ] My gripes are truly minimal at best and I do applaud the improvement on these codecs. I will be placing official (favorable) results of these OSX codecs on my codec page in time for the Cow Conference, but I wanted to share the news with the Cinewave Cow Forum folks first.

Told ya!

I also vote for a real 10 bit, please, Pinnacle, try to do this, and make damned sure that those files are then compatible with Kona/DeckLink. That would be editing heaven...

--rune

Return to posts index

NateBig ??,, Was it worth it??
by on Feb 15, 2003 at 5:12:03 am

Ok, Now lets remember last fall, when everybody was giving the Cinewave folks all that greif about when those new OSX Updates were going to be available.... Was it worth the wait??

From my experience, I thought the OSX updates were going to be alot more painful. And I had no idea they were improving the codecs too.. that is a bonus.. My machine is running great and to the Cinewave, Atto, Medea folks and all the great folks in this cow pasture, I would like to say thanks, as in thanks alot..

Return to posts index

Bart HarrisonRe: Congratulations to the Cinewave Team!
by on Feb 15, 2003 at 2:34:04 pm

Thanks for your post Marco. I believe your interest and focus on codec issues has ultimately been a good thing for everyone.

Bart

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Build `em right... support `em well... let our customers do the talking !"

Bart Harrison
Multimedia Programming America
The HD Suite

America's VAR
Apple, Shake, CineWave, Kona, & Rorke SAN
http://www.mpa.net

Return to posts index

John ChristieRe: Congratulations to the Cinewave Team!
by on Feb 16, 2003 at 8:10:37 pm

Well said, Bart

If Marco wasn't out there making us aware of codec issues, manufacturers wouldn't focus their attention on them.

Thanks for all your hard work, Marco

Cheers

John C

Keyframes Editing

Return to posts index

Johan EdstromRe: Congratulations to the Cinewave Team!
by on Feb 15, 2003 at 5:34:20 pm

Great post Marco! Looking forward to the homepage update. Adjustable filtering is the way to go. Users should however watch out so you only filter what you want to filter. Captured footage should most often not be filtered. Graphics and animation usually should. Another setting to keep your eyes on!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]