I did reload 5.2 and still have nothing but lock ups. It will lock up just sitting there. I have had Igniter for 6 months now and have not finished one project. I alway end up going back to the Media 100 in frustration. Can I install 5.1 over 5.2 or do i need to reinstall everything again.
I think we have a specific hardware issue here John. It seems that most of the problems are hardware specific. IE which particular machine any one user has. I find that the early dual 1gigs (like mine, seem to be picky. I don't know if its the architecture or OSX or what. It seems kinda freaky though.
So that means that I can not use igniter for osx? This does a little more that freakin p@#$@#$ me off. I just sprung for a dual processor 1g machine and this system will not work. Some one at Aurora please help me out here.
dual 1g with two wd 100 gig drives soft raided. I am running the oem video card and have the gee three serial port for deck controll.
This makes me want ot ebay this edit system and go with another vendor.
On the contrary. You have a dual processor machine that totally works in OSX with the new Aurora drivers.
I kow that I specifically had some problems with the 5.2 driver and version X.2.4. I have reverted back to X2.3 and Aurora 5.1. I have the same machine as you do and run the system with no problems every day.
I am not sure that you have to have the drives raided. I had a hardware raid card which I have since disabled. If you are noticing poor performance you may want to consider an external scsi raid and an ATTO card. It seems like many users on this forum, like Michael Alberts for instance, are very confindently using their systems with very few problems.
It can be frustrating to have to follow all of the particlurs and the problems with new releases etc.
My suggestion is to stick with what is working. I only even tried X2.4 when I had non critical wok to do. I seems like you trust you Media 100 system and you revert back to it when something goes wrong. TO me that makes perfect sense because you want reliability. BUT this also means that you don't troubleshoot and get to know the new system.
Maybe you could post your system on e-bay. or you could see what new challenges FCP 4.0 gives us. I hear April 6 is teh big day for Apple.
Hold on there. You won't find a solution that works better with your current setup. It has nothing to do with the Igniter.
The only problems that we're aware regarding IDE/ATA are incurred using a PCI IDE/ATA card that does hardware RAID0 striping. In the RAID mode, under OS X, these controllers do not sustain uncompressed playback capability. In fact, we have seen playback problems at speeds as low as 7MB/second. So, if you have an ACARD ATA RAID card, a SONNET TempoRAID, a ProMax TurboMax card, or any similar card, you should run it with hardware RAID turned OFF! Use OS X's software RAID to setup the drives.
Now, that being said, we have not officially qualified any drive combination except for ATTO UL3 or UL4 SCSI with at least two Ultra2 or faster SCSI drives in a RAID0 configuration. This combination is bullet-proof, and our high-end customers (Like Michael Alberts), are running like this all day long, day in and day out. Other qualifications will come later this year, after we have tested thoroughly with our new RT effects. Oops. I wasn't supposed to mention that.... ;)
i had the same lock up problems with my 867 so i bought the dual 1g machine. I installed my media 100 system on the 867 and it works really good. I now have the same problems with my dual 1g so it is not the cumputer. I disconnected the two ata 100 drives today and tried to digitize on the the system drive with the offline setting and it locked up too. if some one can prove that this is a hardware problem I will buy them a great steak dinner but from where I sit that is impossible. I spent my saturday reloading the system and trying it agan at different offline settings of 2000 5000 and 10000 with the same results. i get some where in the 10 minute area the system just locks. the project i am working on is remastering some old shows and i need something that will digitize 30 or 40 minutes at a time. i have tried breaking them into sections with no luck. I am ready to try anything but I am tired of dumping money into a system that is so unstable. i guess the ul2d card is not compatable and perhaps the barracudas are too slow.
6 months and 3 thousand dollars of upgrades later and still no working system in not real encouraging.
Is this new Dual 1GHz system one of the new Mirror-Drive-Door models? If so, you won't be able to get the Gee Three Stealth port or the Griffin G-Port to work reliably. We've tried it, and given up. Something is different about the modem circuitry for these newer machines, and Apple is actually qualifying cards like ours and others with the KeySpan USB serial port. (We don't recommend this device in OS 9, so if you're still going back and forth between 9 and X, you'll want a KeySpan SXPro PCI serial card for best results in both OS's.
I want to go all osx and leave 9 behind so I should be happy with the usb serial adapter. i have an older version of their adapter and noticed that there are three versions that they sell now. Will any of them work?
thanks so much for helping me out. The reason that I bought the Igniter was because I had the impression that the company listened to the editing community.
Hmm.. I don't think locking in renders is related to the serial port. However, I have dozens of customers who have had problems capturing 3 to 8 minutes into the capture. They have been fine with the USB port. (And yes, any of the KeySpan models should work). The other thing you might need to look at is DRAM. I was having terrible instability with our demo machine, until I removed the 3rd party (non-apple supplied) DRAM I had installed. Once I took it out, it has been very solid.
You should also try tossing out your Final Cut Pro Preferences and MOA cache files. These are located in your "Home" folder under "Library":"Preferences":"Final Cut Pro User Data". Be sure to quit FCP first, then toss the files and re-launch Final Cut.
We all want to see you with a rocking Igniter system up and running. Capturing, Cutting, outputing, everything.
I don't think you have a harware issue with the MAC but the stealth serial port does make sense. I run the Stealth on a dual i gig (quicksilver) which does allow for that part with no problems.
Michael alberts just did some good research on these cards and in recent threads (less that two months old) he talks about one that has inputs for up to four machines and is software switchable.
Search the archives for serial or serial ports and you might find it in there. My guess is he will post it in here for you.
With the new machine you should have no problem capturing uncompressed to the internal IDE drives connected to the mac chain (i think yo get up to four in there)
Like mike said, if there is anything other that a Atto UL3D card for a scsi raid then remove it as it may take up system bandwidth.
I would try to use the drives you have before buying anything new.
think your last post alos reveals that you are running Media 100 and FCP and Igniter onteh same machine. I would try to stick to one editing card and software package per system. If yo ucan leave media 100 on the old machine and give the FCP Aurora set up in OSX a fair chance then you just might solve this one in a hurry.
WE ARE ALL PULLING FOR YOU JOHN. I hate to see this kind of heartbreak in the thread.
If it is the stealth port, you owe Mike Stroven a TEXAS steak dinner.
i am running media 100 on my old 867. i have a fresh version of osx waiting for me tomorrow and i will be running only fcp and igniter on this box. i will add 10.2.3 and fcp 3. Should I use the latest fcp with 5.1?
I would run FCP 3.0.4 and I would run the 5.1 version of the driver although I know some people are running 5.2. I think Michael Alberts is running 5.2 with no problems.
For me, for now I am running 5.2 with X.2.3 and FCP 3.0.4 for OSX. I think it is wise to move to X as Apple is really starting to take advantage of the New software and it's true power. The New Aurora 10 bit codecs will be OSX native and it seems like they will take good care of their existing OS9 users but put more of an emphasis on developing hardware and software for OSX.
Soon, we will have a new round of Mac OS (i think the latest 10.3.0 is called Cheetah) and a new version of FCP 4.0 (due at NAB in a few weeks) and some new Aurora software too, so I am sure the forums will be busy.
Good luck with all of your installing tomorrow, if all else fails burn some insense to get rid of the bad Karma between you and your mac. Rename the ahrddrive and make a new friend. The computers do listen if you are nice to them.