Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Question about 1Khz Tone at Head of Program

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Matt DubberQuestion about 1Khz Tone at Head of Program
by on Nov 4, 2004 at 11:19:58 pm

Hi gang,
I have a question regarding the 1Khz tone at the begining of programs. We have our machines calibrated to output at -20Db (digital). However, we have recently been coming under fire for our tone being "too hot". I'm wondering what the standard, or most common set up for this is, and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Jerry HofmannRe: Question about 1Khz Tone at Head of Program
by on Nov 4, 2004 at 11:32:01 pm

Check the playback and recording levels of the tapes you are recording then sending... if they are -20db digital, or at 0 on an analog meter, you should be good to go. What's the whole process you are using to determine that final recording level... look there for a problem first.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer

Author: "Jerry Hofmann on Final Cut Pro 4" Click here

Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, Huge Systems Array UL3D

Return to posts index

billRe: Question about 1Khz Tone at Head of Program
by on Nov 5, 2004 at 2:05:27 am

just a quick note also, FCP bars are not real SMPTE Bars. I recently took some heat for hot tone and bad bars....... now everything has bars put on it from the rack after.... maybe FCP could come up with real bars.

Return to posts index

Jeff SmithWhat's wrong with FCP bars Bill?
by on Nov 5, 2004 at 8:56:56 pm

Bill,
Why do you say FCP bars are wrong? I've worked in broadcasting for over 25 years. I have my FCP system running through an external waveform and vectorscope and the bars look fine to me.

Return to posts index

billRe: What's wrong with FCP bars Bill?
by on Nov 6, 2004 at 10:59:01 pm

First off I respect your experience as I only have 6 years. I always believed the bars were correst myself then I was confronted by our network engineer who tried to explain it that although the bars are the correct colors ( meaning they represent correctly on your scopes) but do not contain industry standard elemnts i.e. black ramps to be specific. Who am I to argue what a veteran engineer shares with me and I sharepass along to the forum. I maybe wrong, but I believe my source of knowledge knows what he is doing. I am running a box still using 4.1 so maybe the update has fixed this issue, if there is an issue after all.

Return to posts index

gary chavezRe: Question about 1Khz Tone at Head of Program
by on Nov 5, 2004 at 2:04:54 pm

uh oh,
I always asumed that the bars were correct.
However I just had all my monitors calibrated and the optical reader said they were within spec. No complaints yet from any of the TV stations my VNRs go to.

Also, I always playback the tape I just recorder, often 6-8 of them.
Sometimes they play back hotter that the meters showed during FCP output.
I set my tone level to 0 on my Beta 1800 deck.
I also set the level to match the audio in the time line.
That way there is no audio suprise from the tone to the audio on tape.

Return to posts index

Matt DubberRe: Question about 1Khz Tone at Head of Program
by on Nov 5, 2004 at 7:52:33 pm

Hey everyone,
Thank you for the input. The problem we were experiencing was due to a digital "spot trafficking" we use, and some new QC guidelines they recently imposed. So from what I've been able to gather, setting your reference tone at -20 db digital or 0 db analog will keep you safe. Once again, thank you to everyone who gave input.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]