Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MAC OS X:ForumBoot CampApple Home

Starting Up In OS9 on a new Mac!!!!

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
WayneStarting Up In OS9 on a new Mac!!!!
by on Jun 27, 2003 at 9:43:35 pm

I've got a new Mac G4 with OSX . I does have classic on it, but can't startup in OS9.
I even tried installing OS9 on it and can't. I can't use it unless I can startup in OS9.
The Mac that had the ability to startup in both 9 and X was $1000 more and I didn't have the moolah
for that. Today I saw that EVERY new Mac can NOW start up in 9 or X. MacMall WILL NOT take my Mac back so I'm stuck with it eventhough I've only had it for two weeks. Help!!!!

Return to posts index

Tony!Re: Starting Up In OS9 on a new Mac!!!!
by on Jun 27, 2003 at 10:08:46 pm

Hey Wayne,

We'll try to help, can you give us more information:

What Mac do you have?

What version of OS 9 did you install?

Did the OS 9 you installed come with that Mac?

Do you see the OS 9 in the startup manager?

What happens when you try to startup in OS 9, be specific?

Do you have any third party hardware in your Mac, or attached to it?

Is OS 9 on the same drive or partition as OS X?

Have you installed any non Apple extensions into the OS 9 extension folder?

This Apple support link may have some answers for you: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=22059

Tony!

Return to posts index

WayneRe: Starting Up In OS9 on a new Mac!!!!
by on Jun 29, 2003 at 5:29:10 am

Dual 1.25GHz G4 processors
In Stock!
256K on-chip L2 cache
1MB DDR SRAM backside L3 cache per processor
256MB DDR SDRAM before free RAM
80GB (7200 RPM) Ultra ATA Hard Drive
ATI Radeon 9000 Pro graphics card with 64MB DDR SDRAM in 4x AGP slot
DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo Drive
1 FireWire 800 ports
2 FireWire 400 ports
4 USB 12-Mbps ports
Gigabit Ethernet
AirPort Extreme Ready
BlueTooth Ready
Mac OS X v10.2 and Classic only

It did not come with OS9.2, just classic. So I can't startup using 9, only 10. Some of my programs work just fine using the classic enviornment. But OSX has a hard time converting files that were originally created using OS9. Like a pict for instance. In OSX is seems the file as just a file and I have to add the .pict on the end of the file for my computer to see it. I use thousands of picts daily and cannot and do not have the time to add extensions to every file I have. If the computer booted in OS9, all my older files would be read. The computer is used in an advertising agency and my older G4 crapped out and I needed a new one. Two weeks when I bought a new G4, there were none with a startup in 9 or 10. I figured I could just install OS9 using my old 0S9 disk but it didn't work and now I'm stuck with a nice expensive paperweight.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 29, 2003 at 7:29:17 am

Hi Wayne,

For pict files, you can batch process them to add the file extension needed. To do it you could use Photoshop, or you can search on versiontracker.com to find a renamer application. I haven't really had any trouble myself with older image files as they seem to open just fine.

From what you said, I'm afraid you're going to have to get used to OS X. You will need to update some of your applications, at least the ones that won't run in classic. OS X is really an amazing operating system, I think you'll find it saves you time by allowing you to do multiple tasks at once. OS X is also very stable, crashes are going to be vary rare (if ever). I know the cost of upgrading your applications is going to be tough, it will be worth it though.

The only other option is to sell or trade your new Mac for one that will startup in OS 9. You'll probably take a couple hundred dollar loss if you go that route. I don't recommend it, because I believe you'll be using OS X full time in the near future.

Hope everything works out,

Tony!

Return to posts index

Mark SimpsonRe: Starting Up In OS9 on a new Mac!!!!
by on Jun 29, 2003 at 9:35:38 pm

Wasn't there some sort of ROM upgrade you could download from apple that would allow the functionality of OS9 on the OSX only boxes? I'm almost positive this was the case.

If so, download and update the ROM, then retry installing the OS9 stuff. You "might" also have to buy an OSX/OS9 disk to install it properly (as opposed to an OS9 only disk), but not sure on this one.

I'm pretty sure that with enough research you can get the new Mac to run in the original OS9 mode.

Mark Simpson

Return to posts index

by on Jun 29, 2003 at 10:25:09 pm

It's worth checking into, but if I remember correctly, it doesn't work on the latest Mac's. I think it only gave you limited functionality. I believe it was only available to developers.

Tony!

Return to posts index

Chuck RetiRe: Starting Up In OS9 on a new Mac!!!!
by on Jun 30, 2003 at 1:20:49 am

You shouldn't need to rename any files, though there are third party apps to do this like FileBuddy and BetterFinderRenamer. You only need to, in OS X Finder, select one of your PICT files, do File>Get info
(or Command-I). In the info pane, twiddle down the "Open With" tab. Then, from the list of apps presented to you in a pulldown menu (OS X apps listed first, installed Classic listed next), select the program you want to associate to the selected PICT file. If you want any and all your PICTs to open with the selected app, hit the "Change All" button.
If you choose a "Classic" app, it's helpful in System Preferences>Classic to check the "Warn when starting Classic" button, just to let you know it'll take those couple of extra minutes to start up the Classic environment, or gives you the opportunity to bail out the Classic startup should you choose to use an OS X app for the job instead.

The G4's of that line were introduced clearly as non-OS 9 booting machines from the beginning. There was much discussion (con, con, con and pro) of that fact at the time. To my knowledge there is no ability to do a bootup directly into 9 on any of those machines, including the iMacs of the same time.
Yes, the "newest" G4's just shown at WWDC will boot 9, but are essentially one or two model generations backtracked from your machine in other features.

--
Chuck Reti
VIdeo Editor
Detroit MI

Return to posts index

WayneRe: Starting Up In OS9 on a new Mac!!!!
by on Jul 1, 2003 at 8:06:47 pm

Thanks guys. I'll use your posts to try to figure out my best solution.
Isn't this site wonderful?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]