Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MAC OS X:ForumBoot CampApple Home

Is there a way I can locate all media files on a drive by file extension?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
mgmoenIs there a way I can locate all media files on a drive by file extension?
by on Jun 20, 2003 at 12:48:33 am

I need to locate and move all media files off one of my drives. I need all .movs, .aiff's, .m2v's, mp3's, etc.,. I'm looking for a way to search by file ext. only, not content. Maybe command line? I can do it in xp, but I'm a new to macs, they sure are hard to use. Been trying to print to an Epson 2200 for as long as I've owned this dual 1.25, finally got it to work with gimp print. But geez!, lucky I kept my pc, and don't get me started on the usb/osx crash problems I've had with my digital cameras. OSX does not let you eject a memory card unless you click/control eject, should you manually eject, the memory card gets screwed up, and the mac hangs on shutdown. But this is not a hate post, I actually love my mac, the interface is elegant and easy to read, PS, AE, and illustrator are all more pleasant on the mac, except in os9, which crashs all the time and looks as bad as windows. My only problem with it is it's a bit slugish, and hard to install and configure software and hardware devices. Cheers, Mark P.S. Please excuse the digression, and thanks in advance to any and all help with searching by ext. type.

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Is there a way I can locate all media files on a drive by file extension?
by on Jun 20, 2003 at 1:00:06 am

hello...

on the command line, you would do this:

find /Volumes/[drive_name] -name *.mov

or if you wanted to do the whole damn box, just do

find / -name *.mov

and find is ridiculously powerful - you can include params for size, owner, last modified date, etc..

but i thought that the apple find did the wildcard thing as well as windows? maybe not...not in front of the os x box right now so i can't verify...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Chuck RetiRe: Is there a way I can locate all media files on a drive by file extension?
by on Jun 20, 2003 at 2:00:31 am

It's Really Really Easy.
Go to Finder (or click on desktop).
type Command-F, which brings up the "Find" utility.
Default search is File Name (dropdown choices= Contains,Starts With, Ends With, Is)
The other ADD CRITERIA dropdown below includes "Extension" as a search criterion.
Select Extension, a text box then appears wherein to enter the desired filename extension, just the three letters, no dot.
Then use the Minus button next to the Filename entry field to kill it if you desire to search only by extension.
Click the throbbing, glowing Search button and walk away. Your results appear in a separate split window that
lists the individual files in top pane, and when you click on one, its path shown in the lower pane.

Photo media- you right click or control-click the disk icon on the desktop , select "Eject" to properly close the session
(or per ancient Mac traditional procedure, drag to Trash).
Yes, media can be corrupted or lost if you don't do this. I've never had a crash or shutdown the couple of times I've forgotten the ritual. Actually the Image Capture application (my default app when d/l from memory card or camera) told me I had not properly put away the CF card and that I shouldn't do that again.

I'm curious what hardware and software configs are troublesome, generally most are truly plug and play, drag'n'drop.

--
Chuck Reti
VIdeo Editor
Detroit MI

Return to posts index

CraigRe: Is there a way I can locate all media files on a drive by file extension?
by on Jun 20, 2003 at 3:17:59 am

variation on this theme. click on desktop. applekey-f (find). add criteria. kind: movie.

Return to posts index

mgmoenRe: Is there a way I can locate all media files on a drive by file extension?
by on Jun 20, 2003 at 2:40:15 pm

Thanks so much for all the help guys. Yes I know the command/f shortcut, I'm a keyboard kind a guy, one of the many things I love about this mac is the ability to shutdown, sleep, or restart all from the keyboard, also dig how close the command/spacebar are for PS zooms, but I did not know the minus sign trick. I spent way too much time tweaking w/ that search tool. No matter what I entered I'd get zero results, unless I started entering file names or partial names. Too tedius... Thank I will give the command line a try, as I need to only grab the media off one drive, albeit it's a big drive or actually drives, and a victim of very very poor media management. I don't think command/f will work for me as I don't want to have to dig down through all those directories to move the files into one folder. As far as that particular hardware/platform problem (usb problem), apple support is aware of it and apple has already put out a "fix" but after installing the "fix" included in one of the many apple updates, I was very disapointed to learn that I can duplicate the problem, it happens everytime. I plug a Fuji 6800zoom digital camera into the left usb port of the keyboard or in the back, makes no diff, after renaming i drag the folder into my desktop photo drop/ which is an alias to a folder that resides on a san raid. Start working on something and forget about the Fuji being connected, finish hit control/option/command/eject to shutdown, leave the bay, come back later and garrantee our mac is hung. Same thing happens w/ any usb storage device, we also use a Canon 1Ds and have a few diff card readers, I can dup the problem w/ no problem. It also corrupts the media that was in the device, as mentioned, put it back in the camera and the camera sees no media, it's a hell of a lot of fun. I forget so much, I went and bought a lexar firewire "digital film reader", and leave it plug into a firewire hub at all times, but it only works for our Canon's as it's a CF reader only. We also had all our firewire ports go out, tried reseting the pram, nothing worked, then found out--on an apple forum--about a command line reset all, I can't remember the keyboard shortcut you use when booting to boot into some command line environment. Wish I would have written it down, but it's simple to reset/all if your comfortable with command line stuff. Whoops I'm really long winded, all apologies, I better get back to work. Gonna try out that command. Thanks Again, Mark

Return to posts index

-stev=oRe: Is there a way I can locate all media files on a drive by file extension?
by on Jun 20, 2003 at 3:16:37 pm

just as an FYI on the command line instructions,
I've had better luck with a search using:: find / -name "*.mov"
only difference being the actual search criteria is in quotes.
also, you'll probably want to pipe it through a less or more command:: find / -name "*.mov" | less
FYI, you'll be returned with a lot of files that are support files for stuff like ICal, or IPhoto.
not sure if you want to remove those too.
in addition to the great advice from the other cows,
if you go the command line route, then you might want to puruse your find command with a copy, and/or remove command.
look ma! no hands!

;P

-stev=o

Return to posts index

mgmoenRe: Is there a way I can locate all media files on a drive by file extension?
by on Jun 20, 2003 at 4:17:48 pm

Welllllll, I'm getting really frustrated, I tryed the Terminal, and I guess I'm too dense to get the params right this is exactly what I entered "find /Volumes/SCSI_Raid -name *.mov" This is verbatim notwithstanding the quotation marks. No match. Then I tryed the following param: "find /Volumes/SCSI_Raid Changes.wav" cause I happened to be looking right at that file and knew it was there and that param yeilded--after a long search, through a 1/2 a terabite--no file or directory, but I was excited just to see it searching, the terminal hauls b*lls, on the 1st param entered it did not search it instantly returned "No match". Tryed a whole bunch of variations regarding spaces.
As far as the Command F trip, wholly moally, tryed and tryed, minused all the options except file ext., and it can't find one .mov, on a drive that contains thousands of .mov files. Regards, Mark

Return to posts index

-stev=oRe: Is there a way I can locate all media files on a drive by file extension?
by on Jun 20, 2003 at 4:39:07 pm

hey mark,
sorry to hear no luck....
try copying and pasting the following line into your terminal window

find /Volumes/SCSI_Raid -name "*.mov" | less

--or--

find /Volumes/SCSI_Raid -name "*.wav" | less

as long as that is the proper name of your raid drive, then it should work.
let us know....

-stev=o

p.s.

if neither of the above work,
try the following--

find / -name "*.mov"

hth

Return to posts index

by on Jun 20, 2003 at 7:42:22 pm

-stev=0 Thanks for the commands, will keep trying, this is what the string started off like. /Volumes/Bret: /Volumes/Bret/.Trashes: Permission denied Bret is the name of the drive, but I just renamed it, in hopes that it was just the underslash or length of the name that was causing the problem, plus Bret is easier to type.
-stev=0 here's exactly what I trying to do. I'm trying to gather all media off this drive, as it's so scattered and buried in deep directories under so many users, that it's become useless. After I gather the media, I want to move it to a folder called Archived_Media on a drive named Media. I want all .mov,.aiff,.wav,.m2v,.mp3, files that currently reside on the volume named Bret to the volume named Media, into the archived media folder. By the bye, thanks again for the scripts, I love that "look no hands" type a stuff. Will keep you guys updated. Best Regards, Mark

Return to posts index

by on Jun 20, 2003 at 8:32:14 pm

hey mark,
the permission denied line appears because you're not logged in as root. don't worry too much, tho,
seeing as how there probably aren't too many files in the trash that you'll need to save.
that should appear first, and then there should be a pause as the shell searches your filepath for positive results.
renaming your drive at this point may have hindered more than helped--as far as links go, and such.
however, as long as you substitue the old volume name in the command line with the new one, all should be okay.
what you need to do seems pretty straight-forward, but i'm still new to unix myself, so i can only suggest stuff.
for example (DO NOT COPY THIS COMMAND AS I"M NOT CERTAIN IT IS ACCURATE).

find /Volumes/Bret -name ".mov" | cp /Volumes/Backup/Archived_Media

or something to that effect. you could include or revise the above to do a "rm" or remove of the old files.

If you're really interested in the shell stuff, i'd recommend picking up a good book. still working my way thu Matisse Enzer's visual quickpro guide, and it's good stuff, AFAIC.

oh yeah, and the filename that you were previously using for your raid should have been AOK as is. underscores are completely acceptable, and so was the length of the filename.

don't forget the "man" command pointed out above.
it's an awesome feature. even if you don't understand half of what's in there, it's good to get comfy with.

i.e.: man cp or man rm

best,
-stev=o

Return to posts index

by on Jun 20, 2003 at 8:35:17 pm

oh yeah, and if you just want to move the stuff, look into the "mv" command.
remember to carefully scan thru the man page for it first, tho.

i.e.:: man mv

-stev=o

Return to posts index

by on Jun 20, 2003 at 8:40:18 pm

okay, my bad.
I thought the man command was discussed earlier, D'OH!
the "man" command is short for "manual".
typing "man" followed by a space, then the command you wish to know more about, will bring up the unix manual page for that command.
"man man" (less the quotes) will bring up the manual on the "man" command.
;P

-stev=o

Return to posts index

by on Jun 20, 2003 at 9:53:01 pm

Thanks so much -stev=o you've been a huge help, and yes this stuff is interesting and powerful. I'm always interested in time saving power commands. Think I will start compiling a few good ones that I will be able to use over like batch commands, and save them to a text doc. as I have enough of a learning curve w/ the NLE's, DVD authoring, compositing, and image manipulation programs. You wouldn't believe how many keyboard shortcuts I've had to memorize, and also memorize in which apps they slightly change. What I'm saying is I don't have the time to fully learn unix, or to memorize eclectic scripts, that a missing space or wrong case can screw up, and at this point I'm afraid to log on as root. So I'm actually considering installing another osx on a separate drive, I'm not afraid to screw up, so I can log on as root and run scripts. But your right I don't need anything from the trash, and if I did I'd just copy and paste. Regards, Mark

Return to posts index

Chuck RetiRe: Is there a way I can locate all media files on a drive by file extension?
by on Jun 20, 2003 at 9:52:43 pm

As far as the Command F trip, wholly moally, tryed and tryed, minused all the options except file ext., and it can't find one .mov, on a drive that contains thousands of .mov files.

Are you entering the extension to search -without- the "dot"? Makes all the difference. Just now searched/located hundreds of mov's, mp3's, wma's etc on my drives no problem using command-F Find. You are of course also using the "Search In" pulldown to select the appropriate drive(s) to look in.

--
Chuck Reti
VIdeo Editor
Detroit MI

Return to posts index

by on Jun 21, 2003 at 4:32:28 am

Thanks, Chuck will check right now. Regards, Mark

Return to posts index

mgmoenThanks, Chuck that worked!
by on Jun 21, 2003 at 5:14:44 am

First of all let me thank all who replied for their knowlege and input. Chuck, I was putting the . in front of the ext, prior to searching. That's the problem with switching back and forth between two platforms all day, a lot of times in XP I add a file ext to my file names, cause I've gotten used to doing it over here, and I get a file with a double ext. Anyway thanks again, as soon as I deleted the dot, and pushed return the files started piling in. I just hit command a, and drug them all into the folder I needed them in. Best Regards, Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]