Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MAC OS X:ForumBoot CampApple Home

nightmare scenario

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
mariosnightmare scenario
by on May 12, 2003 at 10:49:33 pm

Hi

My hair has fallen out..... this is my story.

I have a 17"powerbook, and a G4 AGP 400 Powermac. I was excited I could create DVD's on my power book so I used IDVD, ..made a dvd with my show reel on a dvd-r. I tested it my powerbook work's fine , tested it on my dvd player works fine, I put it in my powermac, it gets rejected, and ejects, with no error sign..just ejects :(. I burned a cd-r on my powerbook,....power mac has a problem reading it.. I get frustrated, and call apple they tell me its my cd's, and recomend apple dvd-r, so I bought some....and I get the same problem. I search threw apple knowledgebase, and found an article, which I though may help...some unix involved in terminal window (for my powermac),... It screw up my whole system, I call apple tell them about it. I also went to an electrical store and tested my dvd's on various player including a pc and it worked. Basically my CD-ROM/DVD-ROM, and my external CD-RW, have problem reading any disc from my powerbook, it doesnt even give the dvd-r's a chance.BTW I also tried toast, and normal dvd's work, including cd-r buned on the powermac.
Apple say this is new to them and they haven't heard of this before, cos the CD-ROM/DVD-ROM on the powermac should read them, so they are going to look into it and get back to me. This problem occurs on os 9.2.2, and 10.2.6.

Know Im left with having to pick out my stuff from a previous system folder, and try and put all back together again, I cant even check my email, my address book, my software licenses, my network config using net info, my various account i had for differerent projects, etc,etc,etc

I want to cry :(((((((((((

Return to posts index

Tony!Re: nightmare scenario
by on May 13, 2003 at 12:19:21 am

Sorry about all your trouble. The only things that come to mind off the top of my head are that you could be using 4x DVDr?s or maybe the bit rate was to high for the old DVD/CD player in your older G4. Another possibility is your G4 DVD player has gone bad. You can replace them with a new Pioneer 105 for about $200 I believe. I?ve never had the problems you are experiencing.

What happens if you take one of your DVDs to an Apple dealer and try them in a newer G4?

Tony!

Return to posts index

Tony!Re: nightmare scenario
by on May 13, 2003 at 12:24:04 am

One other suggestion is to post in the DVD forum and see if Noah, Ralph, Tyler or Dr. James have any suggestions better than mine. I know Noah does a lot of work on Mac?s.

Tony!

Return to posts index

PaulDRe: nightmare scenario
by on May 16, 2003 at 9:37:55 pm

Hi
Sorry not to add good news - but - I've has 3 original G4 400 AGP Macs (the ones sold in early 2000) and their DVD players have never worked well since the day that OS9.0.4 was upgraded to 9.1.... I reverted one of them to 9.0.4, and the DVD played everything fine again, DVD-Rs etc. Back in 9.1 and it stopped again, only playing commercial pressed DVDs, not even data DVD-Rs. In the end as I got into using DVD-Rs everyday the old Macs have had to be retired....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]