Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MAC OS X:ForumBoot CampApple Home

reason #50569 to get a 2-button wheel mouse with os x

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Curtis Thompsonreason #50569 to get a 2-button wheel mouse with os x
by on May 11, 2003 at 4:38:58 am

if you have the ability to use a 2-button wheel mouse with os x and you aren't doing it, then you are missing out...not only does os x have a nice collection of context (aka right-click) menus (which you can get to with a keyboard shortcut and a 1 button mouse, but still), but it also supports the scrolling of pages with the mouse wheel...and, as i discovered this evening, you can open a web link in a new tab in safari if you click the wheel...that just _rocks_...

(netscape on pc supports links in new windows if you click the wheel, but the link in new tab thing is even better)

trust me - get a 2 button mouse and you'll never look back...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Aaron FisherRe: reason #50569 to get a 2-button wheel mouse with os x
by on May 11, 2003 at 4:53:04 am

hi Curtis,
I'm just getting ready to buy one (optical & wireless).
When will Apple abandon the one-button mouse?!? It's amazing to me that they can still get away with this. It's like selling people keyboards without a numeric keypad or function keys.

aaron

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: reason #50569 to get a 2-button wheel mouse with os x
by on May 11, 2003 at 4:58:05 am

hello...

you're preaching to the choir on this one - i recently went over to my friend's house and she has the typical apple mouse and i almost went insane - it's really silly to stick with that, but i think that (from a marketing standpoint) they would be admitting failure with their plan if they started selling 2-button mice...

but the fact that the entire os supports all the functions of said mice automatically gives you a clue as to their feeling on the matter...

sitruc

Return to posts index

by on May 11, 2003 at 6:07:34 am

hi Curtis,
I've put up with a lot more from Apple than having to buy a $30 mouse, so of course it's not that big of a deal. But here's how I handle the situation (if I'm Steve Jobs):
I address the speed issue--I hire IBM to produce my processor chips, and I bring the next generation of macs up to speed (as they're RUMORED to be, but who knows what that's worth). Right when I make the sudden jump in processing speed, I quietly "slip in" the 2 button mice. I don't even list it as a feature in the specs. Or maybe I stick with the "marketing standpoint" that 2 button mice are crap, and send out 3 or 4 button mice--whatever. People will still talk about it, of course, but they'll be too busy talking about the fact that macs are competing on the speed issue again to worry about it too much.
just a thought... :-)
aaron

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: reason #50569 to get a 2-button wheel mouse with os x
by on May 11, 2003 at 6:11:41 am

hello...

good spin, but any way that you look at it, the 2-button mouse is windows and therefore microsoft (heck, my 2-button mouse has the microsoft logo emblazoned right across it)...they will have to get to that point that they admit that the 2-button mouse is the better path, and that's a very hard thing to do for apple...

but you are right on with the 3-button concept - that is very unix/sgi/sun-esque, so they could get right over the microsoft hump with that one... :-)

sitruc

Return to posts index

by on May 11, 2003 at 6:57:07 am

I can see Apple's marketing team in action now!!--there will be a press release about how their new line of mice have 1.5 times as many buttons as PCs. Of course there will be a graph showing the "HUGE" gap in number of mouse buttons, alongside a pie chart explaining how macs are now 347 times more productive than any Windows machine...
jaded, but still loving Apple,

aaron

Return to posts index

Tony!Re: reason #50569 to get a 2-button wheel mouse with os x
by on May 11, 2003 at 7:18:48 am

I?d be happy if they just had a two button mouse as an option. Although, now that I think of it, unless it was the best mouse ever I would probably buy a different one anyway.

Tony!

Return to posts index

Marco SolorioRe: reason #50569 to get a 2-button wheel mouse with os x
by on May 11, 2003 at 1:01:31 pm

[Curtis Thompson] "but you are right on with the 3-button concept - that is very unix/sgi/sun-esque, so they could get right over the microsoft hump with that one"

I totally agree 100%

FWIW, I bought a Macally Ioptinet USB optical 2-button/wheel mouse and it's crap-ola. It seems the laser just can't keep it's "eye" on the surface (and I've tried many surfaces) and the cursor seems like it's had too many beers or something. It just doesn't feel accurate and kind of "shaky". I have an iKey FCP keyboard, so I figure they'd make good mice too. Well, not the mouse I got.

Anyone recommend a particular make/model they really like and feel is totally accurate in even the most Photoshop/Illustrator situations? Anything exactly comparible to the standard Apple optical mouse is good enough for me.

Marco Solorio  |  OneRiver Media

Return to posts index

Kathlyn LindeboomRe: reason #50569 to get a 2-button wheel mouse with os x
by on May 11, 2003 at 4:44:24 pm

Anyone recommend a particular make/model they really like and feel is totally accurate in even the most Photoshop/Illustrator situations?

I have a wacom graphire that I've had for a few years now that I really like. It has a two button with scroll mouse and a pen when you need it. I love the right click options.

Kathlyn Lindeboom
creativecow.net

Return to posts index

by on May 12, 2003 at 1:54:32 am

I have one of the Wocom Graphire tablet/mouse combos too. I really like the cordless mouse idea, but the thing I find strange is that the mouse has to be square to the tablet. IOW, if you move right to left and your mouse is at an angle, the cursor will not move right to left, but at a slight angle. So either I move the mouse sqaure to the tablet, or I rotate the tablet a little. Plus if you go to the edge of the tablet, the mouse stops tracking. I like the feel and movement of the mouse though, it just takes some getting used to make sure you're "square" with the tablet. I still prefer a corded mouse in the end.

Return to posts index

by on May 12, 2003 at 1:55:44 am

AND HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY, KATHLYN!!!!!

=)

Return to posts index

Kathlyn LindeboomRe: reason #50569 to get a 2-button wheel mouse with os x
by on May 12, 2003 at 4:58:52 pm

Oh, thank you. As you noticed, we took the day off and drove up hiway 1 to Big Sur. It was a beautiful day and a beautiful drive. Had dinner at Nepenthe overlooking the pacific. :-)

Ok, now back to work....

Never noticed the square to the pad thing. The tablet seems small, but i've not had problems with that. I love the two button mouse and the scroll wheel. I keep the pen handy, but rarely use it for everything the way some people do.

Kathlyn Lindeboom
creativecow.net

Return to posts index

Tony!Re: reason #50569 to get a 2-button wheel mouse with os x
by on May 11, 2003 at 5:56:10 pm

I tried a lot of them and I keep going back to the Logitech Optical?s. They work very well and feel good in your hand. I have several cordless, but I find myself using my corded dual optical mouse the most often. It is very accurate, does not use up batteries, and in the rare case when I get to play a game like Unreal it keeps up with the action.

Tony!

Return to posts index

by on May 12, 2003 at 1:57:38 am

I'll definitely check out the Logitechs. Thanks fot the tip amigo.

Return to posts index

Tim BeatonRe: reason #50569 to get a 2-button wheel mouse with os x
by on May 12, 2003 at 9:01:58 am

HAte to say it, but my M#cr*s%ft two button, wheely, intellimouse is just Jim Dandy! (As I believe you say over there in the Good'ol'US of A!).

PS Whatever happened to Black Oak Arkansas anyway!

"Who's the lady with the log...?"
"We call her the Log Lady"

Return to posts index

dwain crispellRe: reason #50569 to get a 2-button wheel mouse with os x
by on May 12, 2003 at 2:30:11 pm

I have the Kensington Studio wireless optical mouse. 2 button mousing and soft touch scroll are berry berry nice. Just my 2 cents

In the end, all that we know, means nothing!

Return to posts index

sethRe: reason #50569 to get a 2-button wheel mouse with os x
by on May 13, 2003 at 3:44:22 am

you may find this link interesting -- Apple patent application for new mouse
http://www.macobserver.com/columns/devilsadvocate/2003/20030425.shtml

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]