Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MAC OS X:ForumBoot CampApple Home

Scott Kelby's MAC OS X Killer Tips

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
COW ArticlesScott Kelby's MAC OS X Killer Tips
by on Dec 20, 2002 at 7:45:18 pm

Just read this book on the way to the Yes Concert in Cupertino (Thanksgiving weekend) -- and found a bunch of killer tips -- well, the book is called Killer Tips. :-)

I wanted to post my favorite new tip from the book:

"Get to your Desktop without leaving your application

Do you find yourself constantly leaving your current application, and going to the Desktop to find files (this happens a lot when downloading files from the Web). Don’t you wish you could access those files on your desktop without leaving your application? Try this: Go to your Home folder, and drag the Desktop file to your Dock. Now, when you need to get to the files on your Desktop, don’t switch to the Finder, just click on the Desktop icon in the Dock, and a window will appear with all your Desktop files. Try this once, and you’ll never use a Mac without the Desktop file being there again
."
This tip has been such a timesaver. Now I no longer have to go to the finder and hide everything else, so that I can find the desktop.

Scott has a sampling of 10 Killer Tips on his website.

I haven't added this book to the Dairy Store yet, but I am definitely going to recommend this book. If you're like me -- who have tons of other things to do -- and learning all the intricacies of the new OS isn't on the schedule, this is a handy book to have. Scott is funny, and mixes the tips with his irreverant sense of humor. The book has a great index, so you can just check out the tips that relate to the topic that interests you.

Kathlyn Lindeboom
creativecow.net

Return to posts index

Aaron FisherRe: Scott Kelby's MAC OS X Killer Tips
by on Dec 22, 2002 at 2:06:21 am

umm..I just tried that tip and the Desktop icon won't drag to the dock. Running 10.2. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

aaron

Return to posts index

Kathlyn LindeboomRe: Scott Kelby's MAC OS X Killer Tips
by on Dec 22, 2002 at 2:12:38 am

It took me forever to find the desktop icon, but once I found it, I had no problem dragging to the dock. Scott's book has a "jaguar" printed cover -- I think it's for the OS 10.2 version.

I found my desktop icon in my "Users" folder.

Kathlyn Lindeboom
creativecow.net

Return to posts index

Aaron FisherRe: Scott Kelby's MAC OS X Killer Tips
by on Dec 23, 2002 at 5:12:58 pm

ok I got it. I was trying to drag it into the wrong part of the dock--it will only go into the part by the trashcan. neat tip.

aaron

Return to posts index

CraigRe: Scott Kelby's MAC OS X Killer Tips
by on Dec 22, 2002 at 5:19:11 pm

Thanks. That is the coolest tip ever. Once in the dock, not only do you not need to hide or resize your other open windows to access the desktop, but also the desktop alias in the dock opens the desktop as a window rather than the entire desktop. Thus you have all the view options available. Not only is it a time saver but it eliminates a lot of awkward mousing. I always thought of the desktop and the finder as being the same, but they are not, and using the dock icons you can open both and navigate between them.

Does anyone know how i can use my MS Word spell checker in IE? and Entourage. Entourage has its own but it's much weaker.

Return to posts index

Chuck RetiRe: Scott Kelby's MAC OS X Killer Tips
by on Dec 23, 2002 at 3:07:06 am

Scott was the guest speaker at MacGroup Detroit's December 14 meeting. If you ever have the chance to see him, cancel anything else you were doing that day and go. He is an interesting and very humorous presenter. You will learn things.

--
Chuck Reti
VIdeo Editor
Detroit MI

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]