Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MAC OS X:ForumBoot CampApple Home

restoring mail in osx

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
kevinrestoring mail in osx
by on Sep 24, 2002 at 4:41:27 pm

Does anyone know where the files are stored for mail -Entourage (adress book, inbox out box, calendar etc) on os x 10.1.5... without doing and export/import?

Because of the way I installed 10.2 the preferences and the mail the info didn't transfer over to the new os. i had it creat a separate system folder for the old 10.1.5 and 10.2 I can't use 10.15 as a startup disk (rto expiort the idata) but I know the info should still be there.... then I could just drop it into the same folder on os 10.2 I just don't know where it would be stored.

thanks,
kevin

Return to posts index

kevinRe: restoring mail in osx
by on Sep 24, 2002 at 5:33:32 pm

I found out where the mail files are stored... they are in the documents folder but it's under my previous "user" name so access is denied when I try to open it because I'm logged in to the new system....

Any suggestions on how to open a file when access is denied.
BTW I am the only one that uses the computer.

k

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: restoring mail in osx
by on Sep 24, 2002 at 5:55:47 pm

hello...

[kevin] "Any suggestions on how to open a file when access is denied."

depends on who owns it and who you are - if you're root, you can override the permissions on a file, but you'd have to be in a terminal to do that...otherwise, you'd have to be the owner of the file to change it's permissions...

we have had a thread or two in the past regarding permission "repair", but in this case, it might not need repairing...here's that thread:

http://www.creativecow.net/index.php?threadid=176435&forumid=71

who owns it, though? again, it might have those permissions so that you don't delete the file (i.e. because if you do, you'll break something)...

sitruc

Return to posts index

kevinRe: restoring mail in osx
by on Sep 24, 2002 at 6:18:22 pm

Half way there... I restarted under os 9.x and then the folders are accesseable... i then copied them to my FW drive. Now (hopefully) I can drop them in the proper place in the os 10.2 dox folder.

kevin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]