Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Crashing, trashing Color Finesse problem

COW Forums : Synthetic Aperture

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
tj ShankCrashing, trashing Color Finesse problem
by on Jan 17, 2002 at 7:38:16 pm

Hi!

I enjoyed my first week or two with the new Color Finesse plug for After Effects and Final Cut Pro. It's very easy to use and has terrific waveform monitors that test out to be very accurate. Then Final Cut 3.0 came out.
I'm still in the middle of a couple of projects, so I installed Mac OS 9.2.2 (required for FCP 3), the "special edition" of Quicktime FCP needs, and the new version of Final Cut just to play with until I can finish up and make the switch to the new software.
Since then, whenever I use Color Finesse from within FCP, Echo Fire takes control of my monitor (I'm using FireWire through a Sony DV deck to monitor), and won't give it back until I quit FCP and restart. When I do restart, all my FCP preferences are gone (custom window layouts, favorite effects, etc.) What can I do to fix this?

TIA

tj shank

Return to posts index

Bob CurrierRe: Crashing, trashing Color Finesse problem
by on Jan 17, 2002 at 10:08:20 pm

We're doing FCP 3.0 testing now, and while we haven't seen the problem you describe yet, we'll spend some extra time trying to figure out what's going on. Sounds like FCP 3.0 has changed from FCP 2.x, which wouldn't give up the FireWire connection at all. I'm not sure if the change is in FCP, the new QuickTime, or 9.2.2.

As a workaround, you can turn off Echo Fire in Color Finesse by using unchecking the "Use Echo Fire" checkbox in Color Finesse's preferences.

I'm not sure what to make of losing the FCP prefs, as we don't touch those at all. I'm guessing FCP must have them in some intermediate state when the reboot is done so they don't have a chance to get updated.

Bob Currier
Synthetic Aperture

Return to posts index

tj ShankRe: Crashing, trashing Color Finesse problem
by on Jan 17, 2002 at 11:46:46 pm

Thanks Bob. I am trying what you suggested, however "Use Echo Fire" is checked and grayed out on my preferences menu, so I have no way to change it. I'd really like to turn it off, because sometimes Echo Fire slows me down, and I'd like to turn off the extension without Color Finesse refusing to run...

tj shank

Return to posts index

Bob CurrierRe: Crashing, trashing Color Finesse problem
by on Jan 18, 2002 at 12:42:58 am

If "Use Echo Fire" is grayed out, then Color Finesse thinks that Echo Fire is not available. If you are running under FCP, then that's because FCP owns the video output device.

Try calling up Color Finesse from within After Effects (without FCP running) and changing the Color Finesse preferences.

Also make sure you're running Color Finesse 1.0.2. Earlier versions kind of assumed that Echo Fire would always be installed and running.

Bob Currier
Synthetic Aperture

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]