Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MAYA:MAYA ForumMAYA TutorialsMAYA

Any tips on creating realistic glass

COW Forums : MAYA

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Erwin SantacruzAny tips on creating realistic glass
by on Dec 8, 2001 at 10:02:58 am

Do you guys have any tips or trick on creating a real good glass shader. Something beyond the ones at Highend or the Alias site. I was using these as a base and tried playing with the setting but can't quite come up with a good shader that I'm happy with.

Thank

Erwin Santacruz

Return to posts index

Chad BriggsRe: Any tips on creating realistic glass
by on Dec 8, 2001 at 2:42:19 pm

Erwin-
Depends on what kind of glass your looking for or what you want it to do. Are you looking for a typical "wine glass" sort of shader or are you looking for something thicker, with a heaver IOR? Also, the nature of your model will reflect how your glass refracts,reflects.
-chad

Return to posts index

SteveRe: Any tips on creating realistic glass
by on Dec 8, 2001 at 6:18:37 pm

Yes, it really depends on what you want it to do. Is the glass going to be part of a wall or vehicle that we can't see in/beyond? Or does it make up an object that we're seeing close-up?

A good detail to remember (that often isn't) is that glass is *slightly* blue-ish in colour... it subtly colours anything behind it. Also, thick glass, like the base of a drinking glass, distorts and obscures more than a simple surface shader can really reproduce; stick a volumetric in the thickest part for added realism.

Finally, don't just think about the glass itself, but about how it's interacted with its environment... everything from chips to cracks to faint water spots will help it come to life.

Good luck.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Erwin SantacruzRe: Any tips on creating realistic glass
by on Dec 8, 2001 at 8:26:00 pm

Well, the thing I'm trying to get at is similar to NBC's glass wipe campaign. I have something that looks satisfactory(well, looks OK but could be better) but wanted to see if I could push it further. NBC actually shot beveled glass and created mattes for it. I would have gone with a different concept but this is what they want. I just don't think it's quite there.

Another thing is that is has to be rendered on its own layer because it's going to be used as a template. Still in the beginning stages. I'm just not satisfied with the glass. I'm using the shader from highend(True Glass). I'm still researching to see if I could improve it.

Erwin Santcruz

Return to posts index

Chad BriggsRe: Any tips on creating realistic glass
by on Dec 8, 2001 at 8:33:37 pm

I must spend too much time in front of my computer, because I have no idea what the NBC glass wipe is :) (I've probably seen it, but I just don't know what it is off the top of my head)
-chad

Return to posts index

Erwin SantacruzRe: Any tips on creating realistic glass
by on Dec 13, 2001 at 1:11:10 am

Thanks for the suggestions . I'm still fighting with it but it's improving.

Thanks again

Erwin

Return to posts index

Sean FennellRe: Any tips on creating realistic glass
by on Dec 9, 2001 at 1:26:45 am

Things to note:

Glass often has a subtle fresnel effect, reflections are brighter and shaper towards the edges of the surface.

Since glass is a slow moving liquid it often has a very very subtle wavy texture to it as the glass is thicker in some areas than others. Try using a solid fractal as a bump map, filter the bump map at about 3 to 5 and drop the bump depth to .01 or even less.

Sometimes it works well to utilize the fresnel effect to control the Index of Refraction value as it moves to the edges of the surface, therefore getting deeper distortion towards the edges of the glass and less distortion when looking straight at the center of the glass.

Reflections from glass tend to be less saturated and more monochromatic than metals or plastics. If using a reflection map do some color corrections for this effect and boost the contrast. If doing raytraced reflections, a separate pass for color correction control will help

Return to posts index

KiNRe: Any tips on creating realistic glass
by on Dec 8, 2001 at 5:27:09 pm

Maybe this plugins can help you.
"Maya Caustics Plugin"

http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/Tmpl/Maya/html/index.jhtml;$sessionid$VAODXOYAAANS5QCLCVBRT4Q?page=/en/Community/Download/plug_ins/maya_nt/mayaCaustics/mayaCaustics.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]