Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MAYA:MAYA ForumMAYA TutorialsMAYA

Animated Textures using File

COW Forums : MAYA

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
SpookyAnimated Textures using File
by on Nov 8, 2001 at 1:45:52 pm

Hello all,

I am running into some problems and thought I'd ask here. I am prototyping a space and need to show video footage of a series of video monitors. *Ideally*, I'd love to capture them on my Mac via Firewire and bring the DV Quicktime files over to the NT box and use the files as textures in Maya 3. Notice I said ideally as this nice easy thing is far from that. I keep going through the reference files and can't figure out what file formats the Movie texture uses, and can't get File to work for image sequences. So...

How would you approach this? What I have been trying to do is generate a sequence of images (tiffs) from After Effects. The only problem is it outputs the files as FileName.****.tif (sorry my "hash" key isn't working for some odd reason). If I try to use the extension check or hardware cycling it won't intepret the series correctly as, I believe, the extension is on the end.

I've also tried outputting to a movie file and then exporting as a sequence from Quicktime but have the same problem.

So what is the workaround? Remember, I'd like to do this in as few steps from Mac DV source (After Effects of Final Cut Pro).

-Patrick

Return to posts index

Chad BriggsRe: Animated Textures using File
by on Nov 8, 2001 at 2:13:53 pm

Patrick-
Doing animated textures in Maya is sort of a pain in the ass, because A/W always assumes that people want to work at individual frame levels (and uncompressed). But thats just becaue the product comes from such a high end background. Anyway, you were on the right track to get your footage to play back. Take your DV footage, render it out to Targa's, TIFF, whatever (i always use TARGA, I think TIFF would work too, but i'm not sure). When you render it, the number MUST be at the end of the file extension, (myanimation.tga.1, myanimation.tga.2, ect, ect.) Then the kicker is, you must set keyframes in the file node extension box. for example, start at frame 1 and keyframe the file extension at 1. Go to the last frame (lets say it's frame 120) and set a keyframe at 120. Now go back and scrub through your animation, and the texture should update in the hypershade and the viewport. You do have some interesting options doing it this way, but a lot of times I find myself wanting to use the AVI approach, or at least a more automated frame count.
hope this helps
-chad

Return to posts index

SpookyRe: Animated Textures using File
by on Nov 8, 2001 at 3:54:30 pm

Thanks for the tips. Now I remember reading about keying that attribute. Now my only problem is getting the files out correctly. anyone have an idea of how to do this? My files keep coming out of After Effects with the frame number embedded before the extension. Thanks!

Return to posts index

by on Nov 8, 2001 at 4:05:53 pm

Easiest way to handle this is download some simple shareware renaming util. Hell, Maya might even ship with something that would do the trick, but I'm not sure. I know that Fcheck can do some nice converting nowdays, but not sure about renumbering the files.
-Chad

Return to posts index

by on Nov 8, 2001 at 4:26:00 pm

Great,

I found an app called Small File Handler at http://come.to/JoRRes that may do the trick. Thanks for the tips!

(now if we can just get A/W to implement Quicktime support at the input and output level)

Return to posts index

Erwin SantacruzRe: Animated Textures using File
by on Nov 9, 2001 at 1:59:36 am

If your rendering from After Effects on a Mac, just name your sequence files like this: imagename.[#]
and that should work fine for you.You can also use a great free utility called Knoll Renamer on your Mac to rename the files or you can use the imgcvrt command from a DOS shell in Windows to do the same thing.

I tend to use an expression to cycle through the frames. I just set the file extension node equal to "frame" and it does its thing nicely.

Erwin Santacruz

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Animated Textures using File
by on Nov 9, 2001 at 8:53:31 am

Actually you dont need to worry about this.
Names like image.1.tif or image.0001.tif will work fine (in maya3 up).
If you do want to rename the sequences, then there is a nice renamer floating around called seq911.exe (I think you can find it at highend3d).

-david

Return to posts index

by on Nov 9, 2001 at 2:06:55 pm

david-
How do you go about getting Maya to work with animated file textures that don't have the number on the end(myfile.1, myfile.2, ect). Everytime I've tried to import a file that is named myfile.1.tga (where the extension is on the end), I haven't been able to get it to work. Is there a trick I'm missing here?
-Chad

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Animated Textures using File
by on Nov 11, 2001 at 4:23:29 am

Hi Chad,
No tricks. I mostly use tiff sequences, so my images are called something like image.0001.tif. In the file texture attributes window I simply browse and select an image from the sequence. I usually pick frame 1 but I dont think it really matters which you choose. Then I tick the "use frame extension" and set keys on the frame number attribute as required. Thats it.
I know in earlier version of maya, this didnt work, but as of v3 (or maybe 2.5) maya got a bit smarter.
(I seem to remember that some apps output seqs with names like image_0001.tif. I dont think maya likes the '_' delimeter, but its a while since I tried this).
If you cant get it to work, I can post a scene as an example - let me know.

-david

Return to posts index

by on Nov 11, 2001 at 4:00:01 pm

David-
Thanks for the explanation. I remember trying to use the name_##.ext format in Maya 2.5, and I remember I couldn't get it work right. (only the name.### format would work) Like you said, maybe 3.0,4.0 got a bit smarter in this respect. I'll try it next time i do a BG image and let you know
-thanks
Chad

Return to posts index

Joaquin (KINO) GilRe: Animated Textures using File
by on Nov 8, 2001 at 6:16:04 pm

Yo!
getting to the list in pieces, this morning (remember, I am one of the Last timezones in this list, as far as US continental is concerned)
anyway, I thought that is why A|W put in the "MOVIE" texture: you can use AVI files (I do not know about QT's)and get the effect Spooky is looking for.
.k.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 8, 2001 at 7:06:33 pm

*groan* Another feature I was blissfully unware of as I kept doing things like the Maya of old. Thanks for the heads up on the Kino. When did that pop in Maya 3 or 4? I KNOW it wasn't in 2.5 (uhhh... i think anyway)
-chad

Return to posts index

by on Nov 9, 2001 at 3:22:12 pm

Really? When I try to load the avi with Movie it says compression format is unsupported or somesuch. I'll have to check that again. In any case, this was the reason that I was using File.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]