Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MAYA:MAYA ForumMAYA TutorialsMAYA

maya pc spec

COW Forums : MAYA

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Lawrence Goughmaya pc spec
by on Oct 6, 2001 at 11:14:18 am

Please can someone help.

I am trying to build a system for maya 4 unlimited.

I have a system already but I am trying to upgrade but not to sure what to get.

I currently have

pentium 3 750mhz

512 memory

win 2000

matrox g450

this is running ok but I feel I need to up the processor and also graphics card. The processor I can deal with but the graphics card I am unsure.

The other issue is money, I only have a budget of about £200 for the graphics card.

Any ideas would be great

Lawrence

Return to posts index

Chad BriggsRe: maya pc spec
by on Oct 6, 2001 at 1:24:28 pm

Lawrence-
you have good start for a decent system for running maya. The advice here is simple, up the processor and ram as far as you can go on your motherboard. Your biggest drawback is going to be your video card without a doubt. Check out the A/W site for the hardware compatiblity list with Maya 4. At the BARE minimum get a late generation Geforce 2 card with 64mb ram. This isn't on A/W hardware list, but I know from experience, they work really well for beginners and can handle a decent amount of geometry, especially when software configured to be a quadro. If you have the money, get a card on the A/W list, but typically they will be way more than the 200-300 bucks you will spend on a geforce card. Hope this helps.
-Chad
(oh, and by the way, DO not work on anything less than a 17inch monitor or you will need a new glasses perscription each month)

Return to posts index

Lawrence GoughRe: maya pc spec
by on Oct 6, 2001 at 3:39:05 pm

Chris

thanks very much for this advice, what about the geforce 3 cards are they better? I think I should be able afford one of them.

Can I pick you brain further. I am a beginner in Maya but I have strong drive and desire to became a maya artist ( doesn't everyone, I here you say)I was wandering whether you had any advice for a beginner? Obviously learn learn and learn maya which is what I am doing. Also trying to produce as much of my own work as poss. In terms of acting seeking some sort of employment in it, what way do I need to be thinking/ doing etc

sorry to bother you this one

thanks

Lawrence

Return to posts index

by on Oct 6, 2001 at 3:40:29 pm

Chad,

Sorry, called you Chris

Lawrence

Return to posts index

by on Oct 6, 2001 at 9:42:34 pm

Lawrence-
hehehe, no prob about the name change. Just don't call me Shirley and we'll be cool ;)
As for the geforce 3 cards, you really can't pick a bad one, and I'm not too sure that if any one offers a big gain over the other. They are all based on the same hardware usually, they just either have more texture memory or more add ons to the card (dvd playback, video out, ect) Just try to pick a reasonably priced one for your budget and you'll be cool.
You question about being proficient in 3d is pretty open ended and there is no one right answer. It really depends on what aspect you want to aim at. If your into modeling/animation, your best bet is to draw your damn ass off. All the time. The better you are with a pen, the better you'll be with a mouse. If your into technical animation, learn the syntax of MEL and have those trig/algebra books handy. You'll need them to learn how to construct serious expressions that help automate functions in Maya. Rendering and Lighiting require a fine eye for detail and a decent knowledge of cinematography as well. Again, there is no "one way" to go to the top. Best bet is to just feel it out and see what you like best, and build on that.
-cheers
Chad

Return to posts index

Thomas BriggsRe: maya pc spec
by on Oct 9, 2001 at 11:07:54 pm

Check out http://www.maya-testcenter.de for ongoing benchmarks.

Return to posts index

Joaquin (KINO) GilRe: maya pc spec
by on Oct 7, 2001 at 5:34:43 pm

the ideal system:

forget the pentium III, do Pentium three XEON or better.
Use a real motherboard. Iwill and Super Micro sell workstation class boards with AGP-PRO slot.
USe one gigabyte of ram. give it space to fly.
Drop in there a scsii port or two, which could be cards.
Think of a good sound card. Make sure you can attend to any kind of lipsynch.
for video, get a Wildcat. Nothing I know moves like a wildcat. It costs, tho'. And there are similar performers in lower price points.

Ahh, but the sheer speed of the thing!

;)

.k.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 7, 2001 at 5:48:08 pm

If you got the dough, by all means go for the system Kino mentioned. I was just specing out a system that would perform decent and not break the bank. And of course, if you get a Kino system be sure to send me one too, so i can share the love :)
-chad

Return to posts index

Joaquin (KINO) GilRe: maya pc spec
by on Oct 7, 2001 at 6:49:18 pm

if you get your hands on one, can I have another one too?
I said "ideal" as in top-notch.
of course it'll break thy back and bank.
that's the point ;)

.k.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 15, 2001 at 1:33:15 pm

Can someone please help with reagrds to good training videos/cd/dvd's for maya 4
I wish to have all levels

thanks

lawrence

Return to posts index

by on Oct 15, 2001 at 3:05:58 pm

Lawrence-
The gnomon site makes excellent tutorials and Alex Alverez is among one of the sharpest people i've ever heard talk about Maya. You can get there at:
http://www.the-gnomon-workshop.com/videos.html
-cheers
Chad

Return to posts index

by on Oct 16, 2001 at 7:37:42 am

Thanks chris/chad (only joking)

I have just order the first of the organic modelling, is this a good one?

thanks for your time

Lawrence

Return to posts index

by on Oct 16, 2001 at 1:16:24 pm

Yeah, it should be. I skipped that one and went straight to organic modeling 2 (since i was already pretty familiar with baisic nurbs functions.) Organinc Modeling 2 was really rock solid, and he hilights the worst part about modeling with nurbs, the complexity of trying to add localized detail to a nurbs model. At any rate, you'll come across much wiser after watching it.
-cheers
Chris...errr Chad. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]