Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

what is the ppi to dpi conversion ?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
tellnolieswhat is the ppi to dpi conversion ?
by on May 10, 2004 at 12:59:36 pm

This is one of those self-education questions - Normally I send files to be printed at nothing less then 100ppi but i'd like to know, is there a conversion from ppi to dpi ? For example, how do I know what xxxppi really represents when it goes to print ?

Thanks -

Return to posts index

Mike GondekRe: what is the ppi to dpi conversion ?
by on May 10, 2004 at 2:38:11 pm

ppi is your line screen, also often referred to as lpi. For example a newspaper might have large dots at 65 lpi, and a magazine is usually 133 or 150 lpi.

As far a as converstion, a good rule of thumb is to try making your computer file dpi = 2xlpi.

The best way to understand this is to look at one of the most common workflows. You use a 300 dpi file from Photoshop to make film at 150 lpi using a 3386 dpi image setter. I prefrer not to use the terminology of lpi over ppi, cause it is less confusing.

Return to posts index

tellnoliesRe: what is the ppi to dpi conversion ?
by on May 12, 2004 at 6:25:38 am

Mike,

So Pixels Per Inch (ppi) is the same as Lines Per Inch (lpi). That makes sense considering the medium. But I want to make sure that I understand your example in my terms. Let's say I receive a standard 3000x3000 photo at camera res which is 72 ppi. This, according to your conversion is really a file with 144 dpi ? This makes me think I could print this 3000 x 3000 at it's normal size of 42 " x 42" at 72 ppi and still have a good looking poster. But how can that be ? I have always been taught that I had to have at a minimum a 100 ppi file for large poster printing. Um, are you following me ?

TIA

Return to posts index

JoeRe: what is the ppi to dpi conversion ?
by on May 14, 2004 at 9:25:10 pm

I got a better sense of this by opening a new document in Photoshop and playing around with the numbers before clicking OK, by changing resolution (72ppi-144ppi-300ppi)- Then pixels to points - pixels to inches etc.

So Pixels Per Inch (ppi) is the same as Lines Per Inch (lpi)
-72ppi resolution

dpi = 2xlpi.
-144 ppi resolution

The math changes with different resolutions and depending on what you want to print so does the quality of the output.

Open a new document in photoshop and enter 3000 x 3000 pixels at 100 pixels per inch resolution then change one of the 3000's popup to left of # to inches.

The number should say 30.

30 inches by 30 inches would be the size at 100 ppi.

I haven't done anything larger than a letter sized poster in years so I usually work at 300-600ppi resolution for print.

Most of my work is for video where 72ppi is just fine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]