Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Setting a guide at a specific location

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
MathDreamerSetting a guide at a specific location
by on Mar 26, 2004 at 8:02:02 pm

Is there a way to set a guide at a specific location by entering a number in a dialog box?

I need the guides in a specific location.
So far I've used the ruler, but this is tedious.

Thanks in advance.

-Rob

Return to posts index

Mike GondekRe: Setting a guide at a specific location
by on Mar 26, 2004 at 10:24:42 pm

Let us know next time which program you are asking about. There is no way to tell either program to place a guide at a location with one command as in Indesign. But you can get accurate line placement by zooming in or using teh transform palette.

Photoshop:
Using the magnify glass draw a small marquee areound the area you want to place a guide. Drag out a guide while wathcing your info palette. Being magnified will allow you to place it at 1 pixel increments.

Illustrator
Draw a line wiht the line tool. In teh transform palette punch in your number, then use the make guide command on the line.

Return to posts index

Kim MackenzieRe: Setting a guide at a specific location
by on Mar 26, 2004 at 11:29:28 pm

Photoshop 6 and later has that ability:

View > New Guide > type in your increment (i.e. 2 in or 50 px)

Return to posts index

Max SimbronRe: Setting a guide at a specific location
by on Mar 26, 2004 at 11:36:03 pm

for guide lines in photoshop (7, and CS):

View > New Guide: in the dialog box, input a number referring to your ruler. if your ruler is in pixels, then 24 will mean 24px, but you can force it to inches by typing "24 in"

I actually make new guidelines an action, as I need it a lot for broadcast work that I do. Just create a new action, then stop it, since going to View > New Guide wont be recorded. Go to the flyout menu in the actions pallete, with your action selected (which contains nothing btw), then select Insert Menu Item. now go to View > New Guide. you should have it recorded as part of your action.

with Illustrator (I use 10 at work), its a little different:

By default, guidelines are locked. so when you make a guideline you cannot move it. just go to View > Guides > Lock Guides and uncheck it.

now drag out a guide. BTW, guides are attached to layers... so be careful to put all your guides on an empty layer (You dont have to, but I like to, so I can move it from file to file). You can now move around guides as you please, but to be precise, select it, then go to your transform pallete. With the registation point set at dead center, input a proper X or Y value for your guide (since its infinite length, you only need to adjust the X or Y, not both). You can, as in pshop, use px in or any measurement supported, despite what system your ruler is on. Using transform, you can actually select multiple guides, copy and move them over in certain spacings. I do this because Illustrator 10 lacks one thing that I have always loved about Flash, that being seperate horizontal and vertical spacings for grids. I like to make a 16:9 Illustrator guideline setup on some comps.

Hope I've helped.

Return to posts index

MathDreamerRe: Setting a guide at a specific location
by on Mar 27, 2004 at 2:28:12 am

Thank you everybody. I meant Photoshop CS. Sorry about not being specific.

I can't believe how I could have missed seeing the View > New Guide command.

Thanks again.

-Rob

Return to posts index

by on Mar 27, 2004 at 3:28:12 am

It would be nice to be able to set a guide relative to an edge and to be able to do math in the dialog box.

For example, .125 inches from the right edge or from the bottom.
And write 1/8 in. instead of having to type .125 .

I would think this would be an easy job to program. I am actually surprised it is not built into already.

-Rob

Return to posts index

Jim KanterRe: Setting a guide at a specific location
by on Mar 28, 2004 at 4:28:19 am

Don't forget that pressing the Shift key while dragging a guide will cause it to snap to the tic marks in the ruler.

When you hear you will know,
When you see you will understand,
When you do you will learn.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 28, 2004 at 7:28:40 pm

Just tried that. It is a big help. At first it wasn't working for me, but I forgot I had turning snapping off.

I still wish Adobe just made the dialog box that is more powerful.
In fact, I think it would be nice to add a checkbox to create two vertical and two horizontal guides a set distance from the all the edges at one time.

-Rob

Return to posts index

Max SimbronRe: Setting a guide at a specific location
by on Mar 29, 2004 at 5:33:07 am

Math, depending on the situation, you can simplify your process. if youre using a redundant size (like I often use 720x540 for ntsc broadcast), then you can make a psd file with guidelines and nothing else. I do this, setting up guidelines for title and action safe, as well as middle lines. very easy. i just always open that file as my start file. now this is using 7.0, in cs, some psd sizes come complete with guidelines (like ntsc 720x486).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]