Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

1st computer build, 1st time powering up problem: Please Help!

COW Forums : Windows Hardware & Software

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
David Jester1st computer build, 1st time powering up problem: Please Help!
by on Mar 4, 2004 at 9:56:15 pm

After reading these posts I decided to build my dream video editing computer. Last week all of the components arrived and I finally got everything plugged in and set up. One big problem: when I went to power up, I got "check video cable" (no signal in my mind). The mouse and keyboard did not light up either. Mouse is hooked to USB and Keyboard is hooked to PS2 ports on the back. I have attached the 20 pin power cable (had to use a 24 to 20 pin adaptor
for the enermax)and I attached one of the 3 12volt 4 pin power plugs into the other power receptacle on the motherboard. I have searched the archives and I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Below is my system that I have hooked up so far.

Lian Li MidTower case with front ports
Intel P4c 3.4 GHz
Asus P4C800-E DELUXE Motherboard
Kingston HyperX 1G (2 x 512) PC3500 DDR RAM
Enermax 550 watt power supply
Sony FDD
Plextor 708A DVD writer
Zip 750 drive
ATI Fire GL X-1 128 RAM dual DVI
boot drive= 36G WD Raptor 10K SATA
video content drive= 200G WD 7200 SATA
Samsung 21.3" Flat Panel (two).

I plugged in and turned on my monitor after attaching it to the DVI port on the Fire GL. Then I plugged in the power cord. Next I poked the big round button on the front of the case; wow! blue lights came on , fans started, no beebs, no winbond words, just lites and fans. Monitor reads no signal. Now I have never built a computer before. I am not a rocket scientist, just a humble amatuer videographer who has dreamed of doing computer video editing ever since I saw the Media 100 ads and got their vhs demo tape back in 1995 or so. Now I have the time and energy to tackle this passion that has grown over the years. I am using Adobe suite for software. This computer will only be for editing; no email; no games, no word or exce stuff. Not knowing what I was doing; I first started the computer up with nothing in the cdrom tray. I didn't know if I was supposed to put the ASUS cdrom in cdrom drive. I tried that & nothing on the monitor. So then I wondered if I was supposed to put WinXP cdrom in the Plextor. So I restarted each time with the cd in the drive bay and powered it up. I think I'm missing something obvious like trying to drive a car without sparkplugs or pistons. If you can help, I would appreciate it. Thank you very much in advance.

Sincere Regards,
David a true beginner

Return to posts index

John HartneyRe: 1st computer build, 1st time powering up problem: Please Help!
by on Mar 5, 2004 at 3:59:00 am

With poser off, disconnect everything from the mobo except the video card. turn on, and see what happens. If the fans whirr, you should be able to get into cmos (bios) and check to see if the board is operating properly.

Then, if alls well, (with power off) connect the drives and make sure everyting is operating well.

Then, if alls well start to install the os and format the hard drives.

do those things and check back in.. don't panic... most problems can be solved with patience.... good luck

John Hartney
werks.tv
Elgin, Illinois - Chicago area

Return to posts index

David JesterRe: 1st computer build, 1st time powering up problem: Please Help!
by on Mar 5, 2004 at 5:18:23 am

Thanks John. I feel somewhat stupid. My wife whose computer skills are limited to email, noted that the power plug into the motherboard (12v 4pin) didn't connect to the power supply; it was a pigtail dead end. It's amazing what this baby will do with the motherboard powered. Mouse, keyboard, monitor light up and I was able to enter the BIOS. I am 68% done formating the first hard drive and am installing XPP. Thanks again for your help John.
Best regards, Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]