Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
DVD AUTHORING:Forum- TutorialsEncore DVD Forum- TutorialsDVD Workshop, UleadDVDit, SonicApple DVD Forum- Tutorials

Can ReelDVD do dual layer?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
h2ofunCan ReelDVD do dual layer?
by on Jan 16, 2005 at 5:41:09 am

Am working with ReelDVD 3.1.3 and making my family chistmas videos onto two DVD's. Am trying to think ahead when dual layer platters are a decent price, and would like to author my stuff on single dual layers.
Does ReelDVD do dual? If not, will it be updated?
If not, can I make an output file and burn with something like nero?

Thanks

Dave

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)Re: Can ReelDVD do dual layer?
by on Jan 16, 2005 at 2:39:40 pm

Does ReelDVD do dual?

Not directly.

If not, will it be updated?

I wouldn't hold my breath. ReelDVD, as far as I can tell, is at the end of the line.

If not, can I make an output file and burn with something like nero?

ReelDVD will allow you to build a video_ts folder larger than a single sided disc (you will get a warning that your project may be too large). It should be possible to use that (the video_ts and audio_ts folders created) with Nero or RecordNow to do a dual layer.

Jim

Return to posts index

h2ofunRe: Can ReelDVD do dual layer?
by on Jan 16, 2005 at 4:15:46 pm

Thanks.

I really really like using reeldvd!! I have the process down cold. So, if reeldvd will not be
updated, what is the replacement? I have tried a number of the other authoring tools, and do NOT
like them.

Dave

Return to posts index

by on Jan 16, 2005 at 4:51:59 pm

Well....I don't work for Sonic, so I really don't know for sure if it is going to be sun-downed or not, but there haven't been any major upgrades, let alone updates, for over two years. Back then it was starting to get a little long in the tooth, and many of us who had been using version 2.x were very disappointed with 3.x (didn't really add any features except adding a few more audio and subtitle tracks). It was an app originally owned by another company (Daikin) which I think they (Sonic) bought out to own Scenarist. ReelDVD never really fit in with the rest of their product line, or at least it sat in a somewhat awkward position between DVDitPE and Producer. A watered down version of Scenarist (Scenarist Studio) came out that for an arm and a leg (or maybe just an arm) where one could get a few more features than ReelDVD offered. Some may argue the feature offering with this app over ReelDVD was worth the sticker price; but many sub-$1000 apps started to crop up that offered these features (DVDWS and Encore on the PC, and DVDSP on a Mac). The argument that one could get the features for less has always been countered with "you are not getting the industry standard authoring and compiling engine of Scenarist" as a down side or suggestion that these other apps are less capable for producing professional output. For someone like yourself, looking to do more with your home video conversion, this argument just doesn't hold much water (IMO). Sonic is faced with adding more features to ReelDVD--at the expense of hacking off those who paid several G's for Scenarist Studio (which I don't think they will do); or let it dwindle and eventually become a legacy product (when I bought ReelDVD it was nearly $1000, now it's under $300; and for a while there, if you bought eDVD they just gave it to you). My bet is the latter, but again, I don't work for Sonic. :)

Jim

Return to posts index

BorjisRe: Can ReelDVD do dual layer?
by on Jan 16, 2005 at 9:29:28 pm

WOW, I didn't know ReelDVD would compile discs larger than a single layer.

I figured it would quit with an error stating it was too large.

If a warning is all you get, it would be an interesting experiment
to build a full DVD-9 with Reel then use Nero with DL capability
to split it into a dual layer disc.

I don't have a DL burner yet, but if somebody with ReelDVD and
a DL burner with Nero can test this out and post the results in
this thread it would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 16, 2005 at 11:00:02 pm

I built a 7 gig project and brought it into Nero, set it to my DL burner and the project indicator on the bottom had all the indications that it recognized the size, disc type, etc. I just don't want to burn a $8 disc for a test, but it sure looks like it should work. I know RecordNow would do it properly. The burning app is supposed to make sure that both layers are full, padding it where necessary to accomplish that if the project itself won't fill a disc. I had a DL project (image file from DVDSP) that was 6 gigs, RecordNow burned until the disc was full. I haven't (now I'm sure I will since I opened my mouth) had a single coaster yet.

Jim

Return to posts index

BorjisRe: Can ReelDVD do dual layer?
by on Jan 17, 2005 at 11:31:09 pm

Excellent.

So ReelDVD won't be completely worthless for DL-R discs (when the 109 comes out) but will only be useless for burning direct from the ReelDVD(I rarely ever do that anyways) app since it won't likely recognize the drive or it's dual layer function.

Cool.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 18, 2005 at 12:17:23 am

Don't wait for the 109, jump in and try the 108! ;)

I know it can 'only' burn +DL type discs, but everyone of them have played flawlessly (I know I have jinxed myself just talking about it). Besides, the 109 won't burn -DL right out of the box (at least initially)--it's going to require a firmware upgrade. That upgrade promise sounds a bit luke warm, but Pioneer has been pretty good about delivering on it's promises (unlike HP and the first + burners).

Jim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]