Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
DVD AUTHORING:Forum- TutorialsEncore DVD Forum- TutorialsDVD Workshop, UleadDVDit, SonicApple DVD Forum- Tutorials

Quality alternative to Apple branded media?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
GregNeumayerQuality alternative to Apple branded media?
by on Oct 10, 2003 at 10:29:04 am

I don't want to sacrifice quality or compatibility, but is there an alternative to the 5 packs of Apple-branded media for my 2x Mac Superdrive? I'd like to buy say, 25 at a time, at a better price. Anyone know who's disc is under the Apple sticker?
Thanks.
-Greg Neumayer

Antifreeze Motion Graphics
http://www.antifreezedesign.com

Return to posts index

Noah KadnerRe: Quality alternative to Apple branded media?
by on Oct 10, 2003 at 3:23:49 pm

That's the problem- it changes a lot. Apple buys from the lowest bidders and rebrands. Stick with TDK and Maxell for best quality.

Noah

Return to posts index

BorjisRe: Quality alternative to Apple branded media?
by on Oct 10, 2003 at 4:17:07 pm

You might also try Ritek. I've had amazing success with their
white printable DVD-R 4x media. NOT ONE client of mine has returned
a disc as unplayable. Been using them for a year now.

you can get a spindle of 25 for $ 36.25 (1.45 each) here:

http://supermediastore.com/ritek4x-white.html

Return to posts index

Travis MaysRe: Quality alternative to Apple branded media?
by on Oct 10, 2003 at 4:24:48 pm

How nice is the printable surface on those? Is it a rough or smooth surface-type. We have the Primera CD/DVD duplicator and we're looking for cheaper media than what primera sells, but also that has a nice printable surface.

Thanks!

~Travis Mays

Return to posts index

BorjisRe: Quality alternative to Apple branded media?
by on Oct 11, 2003 at 12:05:07 am

The funny thing is the Ritek has a rough white surface now
(as of like 4 months ago) but they absorb the ink better
than they did when they had a smooth surface.

I print on them with a Rimage Signature IV and the quality
is sweet! :)

Return to posts index

GregNeumayerAny 2x Ritek media?
by on Oct 11, 2003 at 1:02:03 am

I searched around for 2x Ritek media and only found 4x. I can use 4x in my Apple Superdrive, but it will only burn at 1x. Has anyone found it in a form that burns at 2x on the Mac?

-Greg Neumayer

Return to posts index

Ron ShookRe: Any 2x Ritek media?
by on Oct 11, 2003 at 5:03:10 pm

Greg,

[GregNeumayer] "I searched around for 2x Ritek media and only found 4x. I can use 4x in my Apple Superdrive, but it will only burn at 1x. Has anyone found it in a form that burns at 2x on the Mac? "

You can find them at the link that Borjis recommended as well as here:

http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=R&Category...

At Borjis's link I found an interesting thing about the Ritek 2X media. It said that while the 4X media is reliably 4X on supported burners, the 2X media burns at 2X only with a very few burners and defaults to 1X on most burners including the AO4 (the basis for your Superdrive I think). The AO4 will burn at 2X with firmware version 1.31 but I don't know if you can flash install that on your Superdrive. I seem to remember from a previous thread here that the 4X Ritek media was of the highest compatibility, the 2X almost but not quite up to that standard. If a firmware revision on your superdrive will allow you to burn 4X Ritek media at 2X speed, that might be your best bet.

Ron Shook

Ron Shook

Return to posts index

GregNeumayerRe: Any 2x Ritek media?
by on Oct 11, 2003 at 8:16:54 pm

Exactly. That's actually why I'm asking. Prior to the firmware update, 4x media would actually damage the Apple Superdrive. (something about it not understanding when to turn the laser off) So, I've got the firmware update which is a workaround for using 4x media. The workaround being that it only burns 4x media at 1x. So, that's why I'm looking for specifically 2x, because my mac will burn only burn 4x media at 1x, and I was hoping not to downgrade my speed.

-Greg Neumayer.

Return to posts index

RoadkillRe: Any 2x Ritek media?
by on Oct 11, 2003 at 8:33:31 pm

The Pioneer Europe site has a High-Speed Media FAQ which says:

Pioneer DVR-A03 / DVR-103 & DVR-A04 / DVR-104 DVD-R/RW Writer drives: Applying this firmware update will not change the functionality of the Writers. After applying this firmware update writing to "high-speed" certified media will be supported; please note that you will only be able to write at 1X with the "high-speed" media.

Return to posts index

BorjisRe: Any 2x Ritek media?
by on Oct 13, 2003 at 4:23:51 pm

FYI

I burn the 4x Ritek media on my 1x1 DVD Copier unit.

It came with a 105 and burns the Discs at 4x which is amazingly
fast when your used to 1x only.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]