Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
DVD AUTHORING:Forum- TutorialsEncore DVD Forum- TutorialsDVD Workshop, UleadDVDit, SonicApple DVD Forum- Tutorials

PAL and NTSC

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Marc van NieuwpoortPAL and NTSC
by on Dec 30, 2002 at 10:06:57 am

Hi,

I'm thinking about venturing into DVD authoring. I would like to create DVD's that can be used both on NTSC based systems and on PAL systems.

I live in Europe and all DVD players I know play NTSC DVD's without any problems, with only a small degradation in quality. Does anyone know if PAL DVD's also play on NTSC devices?

Since all my equipment is PAL, it would be difficult for me to create an NTSC disc.

Regards,

Marc

Return to posts index

Noah KadnerRe: PAL and NTSC
by on Dec 30, 2002 at 4:42:40 pm

Nope- the love is only one way. If you want a DVD that plays on NTSC players- it needs to be NTSC. That means you need to make NTSC video clips and NTSC menus. The menus are easy- just resize to 720X480. For the video I usually take it to a dub house for transcoding.

Noah

Return to posts index

Marc van NieuwpoortRe: PAL and NTSC
by on Dec 30, 2002 at 8:52:00 pm

Thanks for your reply. Bummer.

Would it be possible to transcode clips on the PC using a program like Commotion or After Effects?

Otherwise I could find a dub house like you mentioned or buy/rent an NTSC video camera and do the whole thing in NTSC.

Regards,

Marc

Return to posts index

boukeRe: PAL and NTSC
by on Dec 31, 2002 at 11:03:20 am

The biggest drawback of software conversion from Pal to NTSC is that you have to add fields to go to NTSC. For that you need some algorithm that is only found in EXPENSIVE hardware boxes.
Given the dutch rental rates of digibeta it makes no sense trying to shoot NTSC. NTSC is inferiour in every way. As you target two different markets i would suggest shooting pal and author two versions of the disc.
A translated dub from/to digibeta will cost you not more than a few hundred while the rent of a digibeta NTSC rig will set you back more on the first day.
bouke

Return to posts index

BaklapRe: PAL and NTSC
by on Dec 31, 2002 at 12:13:42 pm

I would have to agree with bouke on this. Even the encoding of NTSC is tougher then PAL. But i wonder, we as "dutch" have a majority of consumers who own a multisystem TV and DVD player. What about the NTSC market ? Do they own multisystem sets as well ?

And gelukkig nieuwjaar :)

Menno board admin
http://forum.mediaassist.nl

Return to posts index

Marc van NieuwpoortRe: PAL and NTSC
by on Jan 2, 2003 at 6:36:32 am

Gelukkig nieuwjaar voor alle Nederlanders hier!

And a happy new year for everybody who didn't understand the sentence above! :-)

Thanks very much for the tips guys, I really appreciate it.

The DVD I want to make would be aimed primarily at Brazil and I never saw a multisystem there. It probably exists, but I didn't meet anyone who has one.

Regards,

Marc

Return to posts index

BaklapRe: PAL and NTSC
by on Jan 2, 2003 at 10:14:49 am

Yes then you have to athor twice i guess.. :( Too bad and you have to find a way to convert PAL to NTSC niceley. There are some tools available for that but you might want to go to a production house to do that for you.

Hope you get it working .

Menno board admin
http://forum.mediaassist.nl

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]