Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
DVD AUTHORING:Forum- TutorialsEncore DVD Forum- TutorialsDVD Workshop, UleadDVDit, SonicApple DVD Forum- Tutorials

DVD-SP problem w skipping and stuttering

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
stuart mathDVD-SP problem w skipping and stuttering
by on Oct 24, 2002 at 4:26:07 pm

I just burned a couple disks that periodically freeze for a half second at a time and skip entire sections of the video. The files were encoded with the QT MPG2 encoder at 8.1 mbps and AC3 audio, authored in DVDSP and burned with Toast in an Apple superdrive, all running under 10.2.1. The disk previews OK in the DVDSP previewer and when I high speed through the disk it plays all the scenes. There are no chapter markers authored in the disk. What's strange is that I burned the same files in the same manner a couple days ago and that disk plays fine in the same set-top box. I used different batches of Apple DVD stock. Is this a stock problem, or could this be a symptom of a data rate that's too high?

TIA

Return to posts index

Noah KadnerRe: DVD-SP problem w skipping and stuttering
by on Oct 24, 2002 at 4:39:23 pm

try knocking down your data rate to 7.5 Mbps to see if that is the problem.

Noah

Return to posts index

stuart mathRe: DVD-SP problem w skipping and stuttering
by on Oct 24, 2002 at 7:56:58 pm

Thanks Noah, I'm burning a disk now at a lower bit-rate. In the meantime I checked the files that wouldn't play on my set-top box with Apple's DVD player and it played fine on my MAC. I also tried playing a DVD I burned a couple months ago on this same system, and which played fine when I burned it, now will not play properly on this set-top DVD player. Is it possible the DVD player has gone south? Is that stuttering and skipping a symptom of a player going bad? When I get home tonight I'll try these disks on another player. I'm getting sick of watching these movies.

TIA

Return to posts index

Travis MaysRe: DVD-SP problem w skipping and stuttering
by on Oct 25, 2002 at 1:09:43 am

It is most definately your bit rate. I had extensive problems exactly like this when I was first testing bit rates. I found the safest to use in the apple transcoder to be 6.5 mbps.

Return to posts index

Mark AlbertinRe: DVD-SP problem w skipping and stuttering
by on Oct 30, 2002 at 4:33:23 pm

Yes, I have had the same problem. In may case it happened at the end of an hour long dvd. I was previewing it to the customer and all was fine until a few minutes to the end of the disc. Then it started stuttering and jumping, then it played fine, then jumping and so on. You can imagine my situation. Not a good place to be in. I have heard that to be safe for computers and commercial box-top players a bitrate of no more than 6 is good advice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]