Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
DVD AUTHORING:Forum- TutorialsEncore DVD Forum- TutorialsDVD Workshop, UleadDVDit, SonicApple DVD Forum- Tutorials

Can't keep the quality?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
CameronCan't keep the quality?
by on Oct 22, 2002 at 1:02:21 pm

Hi

I have a problem with picture quality. I'm creating a 3D animated logo in AE5.5 with Zaxwerks. The logo starts out life as an Illustrator vector file and ends up as a shiny gold coin shape with a nice shiny gold ring around it.

While previewing in AE it looks great. I then merge all the effects I want in Premiere6.5 and create the final video clip. However, I want to put the finished clip onto DVD which is why I'm using Premiere - it can export MPEG-2 files using it's built in encoder.

My problem is that by the time it gets to that stage the picture quality is degraded. I've tried lots of settings and have finally got it looking not too bad, but still not the high quality commercial quality video promised in the manuals. I've tried to keep all the settings the same from AE thru to DVDit(LE) which put's it on DVD. I use all best quality settings and a bit-rate of 6000 kbps throughout. Yet the picture quality is still only just about ok, and when I view it full screen it's grainy and a wee bit wobbly. I always select "no frames" as well.

There seems to be an infinite number of settings I can use between these apps and I just haven't got the time to try them all. Is there an easier way to get good quality smooth graphics on my PC screen and still run the animation in near real-time? The AVI files created in AE run very jerky.

Can I improve things by buying a better MPEG encoder than the one built in to Premiere? Also would I be able to use this to create MPEGs directly from AE?

Also is DVDit really any good, compared to others? I had a copy of Sonic MyDVD which came with the PC but DVDit LE seems slightly better to me so I use that now.

Thanks
Cameron

Return to posts index

Noah KadnerRe: Can't keep the quality?
by on Oct 22, 2002 at 6:25:45 pm

Try bumping up to 8000 Kbps and make sure you are rendering the animation as interlaced.

Noah

Return to posts index

CameronRe: Can't keep the quality?
by on Oct 22, 2002 at 7:06:33 pm

Noah

I tried bumping it right up to 9800 in AE then rendering to .m2v and there was no noticeable difference but I hadn't tried rendering as interlaced because everyone said don't use fields if it's for playback on a PC screen.

I've just tried rendering using "lower field first" in both AE and Premiere (for .m2v), again at 9800kbps, and the result is worse than ever. As soon as it starts to spin the image breaks up and it looks like it has lots of shadows. I'm not using motion blur or anything like that, should I be?

Cameron

Return to posts index

by on Oct 23, 2002 at 1:58:59 am

What codec are you using to export from AFX?

Noah

Return to posts index

by on Oct 23, 2002 at 10:29:30 am

I'm exporting uncompressed to AVI.

Cameron

Return to posts index

by on Oct 23, 2002 at 7:50:00 pm

Chances are this is a field issue. Also- if you are judging quality on desktop instead of broadcast monitor then you aren't seeing the true image quality. More like a software interpolation of your DVD.

You need to create interlaced material at NTSC framerate- 29.97 720X480 and look at the final DVD on a broadcast monitor. You might want to encode some live action material as well to see if it's the AFX export settings that are the problem or the encoder settings.

Noah

Return to posts index

by on Oct 24, 2002 at 9:21:50 am

I see what you mean. I suppose I'm just expecting too much. It's probably also because the picture is being stretched a bit when I view it full screen, i.e. to 1024x768. That can't be helping much.

I tried adding some live action from a pop video and it plays fine - certainly as good quality as the original version.

To be honest the picture I get is quite acceptable really and I can live with it. I just wondered why, with the RAM preview images being near perfect in After Effects, I was losing some of the quality in the final MPEG version, but I suppose with any form of compression you must expect to lose something. I guess there are commercial MPEG encoders which will do an even better job, which will be way out of my financial reach.

Thanks again for all your help and advice.
Cheers,
Cameron

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]