Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
DVD AUTHORING:Forum- TutorialsEncore DVD Forum- TutorialsDVD Workshop, UleadDVDit, SonicApple DVD Forum- Tutorials

Question for Ralph LeBarge

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Ron ShookQuestion for Ralph LeBarge
by on Oct 6, 2002 at 7:57:17 pm

Ralph,

Thank you so much for the DV Magazine, "DV Compatibility Test," that many of us found so helpful a few months ago. At the time you were not able to test DVD+R for compatibility because it wasn't available yet and these articles because of testing and publication float are of necessity a few months behind the current capabilities what ever they are.

In the "For What It's Worth" category and I suspect that that it's worth about as much as the published testing that is anywhere from 3-5 months old. A colleague has both an AO3 DVD-R drive and one of the new DVD+R drives. He has done extensive compatibility testing on both -R and +R both of which were authored with the same Apple DVD Studio Pro software (the rest of his plant is PC. This testing was of the nature of going to the nearest superstores and attempting play on dozens of different DVD players plus several older players he has in house, so most of the testing was on current generation DVD players. He also tested on both Mac and PC computers. His conclusion was that DVD+R is somewhat more compatible on set top DVD players and DVD-R is somewhat more compatible in computer DVD-ROM drives.

What has been your more recent experience? Are you doing a follow-up to the DV Mag article adding DVD+R to the mix? If so I'm not trying to get a preview, (well, maybe I am.) (g) It's just that folks like myself, about ready to make the jump, would find such hints valuable with some of the new DVD burning units that record in both formats about to deliver. Even if you can't jump the gun on an upcoming article, would you say that it might be the better part of valor to wait for these new units?

Thanks for anything you can say.

Ron Shook

Return to posts index

Ron VacelukeRe: Question for Ralph LeBarge
by on Oct 7, 2002 at 4:22:14 am

Ron:
I have recently read that Sony will soon be out with a burner that will do both the - and the + which should satisfy many people such as yourself that are wondering which way to jump. You can then burn whatever will work in the target players you are aiming for.
Ron

Return to posts index

Ralph LaBargeRe: Question for Ralph LeBarge
by on Oct 7, 2002 at 11:34:54 am

The second phase of the DV Magazine recordable DVD compatibility testing is well under way. This phase includes 9 different brands of DVD+R media, some new brands of DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD+RW media, and a bunch of new consumer DVD players.

The preliminary results indicate that DVD+R is as good or better than DVD-R for General media. Some DVD+R burners allow you to record in various "compatibility modes" which write the disc id for the recorded media with a value that indicates that it is mass replicated media. In this recording mode DVD+R can work on a number of older players that dont accept DVD-R media.

We hope to have the final results published around the end of this year.

Also I will be testing the new Sony DRU-500 multi-format burner which can write to DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R and DVD+RW media. A review of that device should also be published in DV Magazine around the end of the year.

Ralph LaBarge
Author, "DVD Authoring & Production"

Return to posts index

Ron ShookRe: Question for Ralph LeBarge
by on Oct 7, 2002 at 5:05:33 pm

Ralph,

Thanks much for the update,

[Ralph LaBarge] "Some DVD+R burners allow you to record in various "compatibility modes" which write the disc id for the recorded media with a value that indicates that it is mass replicated media. In this recording mode DVD+R can work on a number of older players that dont accept DVD-R media"

This is very interesting and something I wasn't aware of. Do you have any hints about which of these "some DVD+R burners" have this capability and do you know if the Sony DRU-500 burner has this capability in its DVD+R mode. These "compatibility modes" seem like something to look out for. I can't wait until the first of the year to find out. (g)

Ron

Return to posts index

Ralph LaBargeRe: Question for Ralph LeBarge
by on Oct 7, 2002 at 6:28:57 pm

I am pretty sure that HP and Philips DVD+R drives have a compatibility mode that increases overall playback compatibility of DVD+R media. Essentially they store a mass replicated disc id code and fool the player into thinking the disc is not a DVD+R.

It is difficult to find out exactly which drives do this, and which do not. Technically the DVD+R disc is out of spec when it is written with a mass replicated disc ID, but since DVD+R is not an officially sanctioned DVD format it really does not matter much, as long as it works!

Ralph LaBarge
Author, "DVD Authoring & Production"

Return to posts index

Ron ShookRe: Question for Ralph LaBarge
by on Oct 7, 2002 at 6:44:49 pm

Ralph,

You are a most generous gentleman.

Thanks,

Ron

Return to posts index

Ron ShookRe: Question for Ralph LeBarge
by on Oct 7, 2002 at 6:29:53 pm

Ralph,

Just noticed that you are a "La" not a "Le"Barge. My apologies!

Ron Schuck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]