Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MOTION GRAPHICS:Motion Graphics ForumMotion Graphics TutorialsAfter EffectsApple MotionBoris FXProfessionals

NTSC Safe Colors

COW Forums : Broadcast Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
TVDUDENTSC Safe Colors
by on Jan 29, 2002 at 5:56:56 pm

Hi folks, I've got a query to be addressed and i'm hoping this is the right place to do so. I'm a designer working in the broadcast world and i'm also teaching a class in the basics of photoshop. To my frustration I was unable to locate an adequate resource of information regarding "NTSC Safe Colors". What I'm in need of is a good source where I can find and definition of, and also a list or an approach to/of designing and using color within the range of "safe colors". All help and suggestions are very welcome. Thanx
TVDUDE

Return to posts index

ToddRe: NTSC Safe Colors
by on Jan 29, 2002 at 8:07:35 pm

SMPTE has books on the specific definitions of the NTSC 601 standard.
As far as a practical way to design in YUV space within Photoshop - there isn't one. The closest you can come is to have a studio monitor hooked up via Digital Voodoo or Echo Fire along with a waveform and vectorscope.

Return to posts index

Neil PrattRe: NTSC Safe Colors
by on Jan 30, 2002 at 12:23:21 am

There is supposedly a Waveform that can be used with After Effects and possibly Photoshop.
It was developed by the same fellow that came up with the Layer Splitter. I don't know his
URL offhand.
As far as legal colors most AE people get by using the broadcast plug in in AE.

Return to posts index

Rick GerardRe: It's Scopo Gigo for NTSC (or Pal) Safe Color
by on Jan 30, 2002 at 5:57:22 am

Scopo Gigo....

Look here for more info. This is a great plugin. I'll be using it when I speak at:

(http://www.metadma.com/noflash/ScopoGigio1.html)

Return to posts index

Rick GerardRe: Adding a caviot
by on Jan 30, 2002 at 6:13:19 am

It's important to know exactly what your capture card does with the video. Some cards do nothing to the levels which means that you need to use the 235 - 16 rule for color levels. Other cards expand for processing and then compress for output so you can safely use the full range of RGB values (0-255). Then again, there's 16 bit images and processing...

Once again, you have to know how your capture card handles the signal. You can always take a little time and run some tests. Make up your own set of color bars and output them to tape then go look at the tape on a waveform and vector scope. Then you'll be sure.

Return to posts index

Dan AnonChris meyer has posted an article on Luminance ranges...will that help?
by on Jan 30, 2002 at 3:47:48 pm

DV mag published an article called "Luminance Ranges-a matter of black and white," that touched on rgb values, although concentrating on luminance and television. I thought the piece was very good. It talked about moving images between different graphics apps and NLEs.

I have the-printed-from-the-web version and it's dated April 27, 2000.
I did a search at DV.com just now tho, and could not quickly locate the article.

Dan

Return to posts index

Dan CrescentRe: Chris meyer has posted an article on Luminance ranges...will that help?
by on Feb 1, 2002 at 6:44:55 am

http://www.dv.com/magazine/2000/0400/luminanceranges0400.html

Return to posts index

Dan AnonRe: Chris meyer has posted an article on Luminance ranges...will that help?
by on Feb 1, 2002 at 3:34:34 pm

Thank you!!
Dan Anon =)

Return to posts index

Danny RosenbergRe: NTSC Safe Colors
by on Feb 9, 2002 at 12:40:35 am

As Rick was kind enough to point out, you're thinking of Scopo Gigio from our company, META/DMA (http://www.metadma.com). I wanted to mention that there'll be new updates coming out next week that are OS X-compliant, for use with After Effects 5.5 and Photoshop 7. And since you mentioned Layer Splitter, I should point out that there's a new version available as of today. It's now available for both Mac and Windows, and the Mac version runs natively on both OS 9 and OS X. It will split Illustrator 9 & 10 files, can output in Targa format, and adds optional file extensions (".psd") on the Mac.

Thanks,
Danny
META/DMA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]