Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AVID:Avid Editing ForumAvid Editing TutorialsAvid Editing Basics ForumAvid Liquid ForumAvid Liquid TutorialsAvid VideoRAID ForumAvid

Importing Mpeg2 files into AVID

COW Forums : AVID Editing

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Ed RoyImporting Mpeg2 files into AVID
by on Feb 17, 2005 at 8:19:12 pm

I'm working with a PAL production company in Italy sending me corporate videos on DVD as mpeg2 files. I need to import the mpeg2 into the AVID in order to do some language dubbing work and then remaster it to DVD for local distribution. I'm having a problem importing the mpeg2 file - AVID doesn''t recognize them. Any advice??? The file extension is .mpv

Thanks

Return to posts index

Scott CowperthwaitRe: Importing Mpeg2 files into AVID
by on Feb 18, 2005 at 12:59:11 pm

You need to convert the mpeg to a something avid can import... AVI, or Qt for example... try a program like squeeze or cleaner... but if your only concered about the audio... look online for a free program that will rip the audio off the mpeg...

hope that helps

scott

Return to posts index

Ed RoyRe: Importing Mpeg2 files into AVID
by on Feb 18, 2005 at 3:43:57 pm

Thanks, this is a good begining. My need is to import the video, which is on the DVD as a pure Mpeg2 data (.mpv) - not a VOD file. I have the original auido files as seperate elements on a second disk. My concern is knowing which program can convert this .mpv file to a file AVID can use while maintainin the highest possible resolution. Since I'm on a MAC platform I supose QT would be best. After I've replaced the italian narration with english I will be mastering the final AVID sequence back to DVD for local distribution.

Therefore between Sorensen Squeeze and Media Cleaner, is one better than the other? Or is there still another way of getting this done?

Return to posts index

by on Feb 18, 2005 at 4:29:29 pm

Ed to be honest with you, you might not be too happy with the quality you get from that mpeg file. The best thing to have is the source material from a beta, or anyother type of tape format. Ripping from a DVD is not best way to go because of the compression that goes into those files. We are currently using Sorenson Squeeze with our Adrenaline and I can't complain... You can download a demo of their software from there website... http://www.sorenson.com/ the file will get watermarked but at least you will get a fell for what it looks like and you can decide if you want to buy it or not.

Hope that helps,

Scott

Return to posts index

by on Feb 18, 2005 at 4:35:38 pm

Thanks Scott,

I'll give it a try. Just for clarity I'm not "ripping" the file from the DVD as the DVD is only being sent to me as a data source. The file is just there like any file one would write to a disk. They choose to send it as an .mpv file instead of a QT for the reason of file size. Though it sounds like the upcoming version 7 of QT might change all that. Anyway, I'll download the Sorensen demo and see what it looks like.

Return to posts index

Bill StephanRe: Importing Mpeg2 files into AVID
by on Feb 18, 2005 at 4:55:15 pm

The problem with what you are doing is that MPEG-2 is not meant to be an intermediate production format. You can convert back to Quicktime in a program such as Cleaner, as someone else mentioned; but the final result will not look very good due to the multiple MPEG-2 encodes.

We tell all our DVD customers that "your edit master must be complete as you wish your program to play in your final DVD". So you need to get something better to work from.

Also, how are you dealing with PAL to NTSC issues?

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

by on Feb 18, 2005 at 5:03:38 pm

Very interesting. I was begining to have doubts about Mpeg2 as source material. Regarding the PAL to NTSC issue, this is being handled in Italy. The shop over there has all the high end production gear including a broadcast quality systems converter. In the past they would send us the source tapes on SVHS and we would do the dubbing direct to one of the audio tracks and then make our copies from that master. We never had the funding to purchase a betasp deck. Now with the advent of DVD's we were hoping to use this digital format and work directly in the computer. Is there another digital compression format that can put a one hour program on to a DVD disk that could be used as source material?

Return to posts index

by on Feb 18, 2005 at 6:11:07 pm

Hey Ed,

I have another thought... you are only changing the audio correct? If that is the case use a program like squeeze and change the file to qt or whatever... it will look pretty bad. use that video as reference once you are done export only the audio... use a dvd buring tool like adobe encore or avid dvd (which i dont recommend) then just import the original mpeg.. delete the old audio and add the new... it will work fine as long as the audios match. I think this maybe your best bet if you can't get the original source material... someone might have a better idea then this.

Scott

PS are you using Xpress or MCA?

Return to posts index

by on Feb 18, 2005 at 8:42:58 pm

Thanks Scott,

I like your thinking. Any preferences for DVD authoring software? The simpler the better - at least regarding the user interface.

I'm on an AVID DVpro.

Return to posts index

Samuel A. MartinRe: Importing Mpeg2 files into AVID
by on Feb 18, 2005 at 11:36:52 pm

Hye, what about this:

Get a DVCAM transfer of the DVD and then capture the DV footage onto Avid. Easiest way to do it.

Should work better than anything and also save you time!!

Hope this helps. That's what I would do.

Sam

Return to posts index

by on Feb 22, 2005 at 1:09:32 pm

Ed,

I'm using encore right now by adobe... but I'm not really sure if you need to do any authoring or not. If you don't need to do any you just might want to find a program that will burn it over like nero or easy cd creator. if you are authoring I would recommend encore it's pretty easy to use and already has some built in templates you can use for the authoring. let me know what you decide to do.

Scott

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]