Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ZAXWERKS:Zaxwerks ForumZaxwerks TutorialsZaxwerks

Help with Texture Mapping

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
MarkHelp with Texture Mapping
by on Mar 29, 2002 at 3:29:59 am

I have a basic square w/ 6 sides. Now I would like to have 6 different
textures on each of the 6 sides of the square. Is that possible and how?
Thanx
Mark

Return to posts index

Jon OkerstromRe: Help with Texture Mapping
by on Mar 29, 2002 at 4:06:26 am

Hi Mark.

Yes, it's possible, but you need to know some of Invigorator's tricks and fules.

First - Invig maps front and rear faces one way and sides in another. For front and rear faces, invig will stretch your texture map to fit the object's height and width. If the ratio of your map matches the h/w ratio of your object, there is no distortion. Create separate textures for the front and rear faces of your cube and use the material set-up window to assign one map to the front and another to the rear.

For sides, Invig wraps textures around the object, starting in the lowest, leftest point. In your case, a texture map to go around four sides of your cube amounts to four square-shaped texture maps in a row, in a single map. These "square shaped texture maps can be stills or movies - if you use layer mapping.

If you need some clarification or more help, ask away!

Jon

Return to posts index

MarkRe: Help with Texture Mapping
by on Apr 1, 2002 at 2:31:49 pm

Hey Jon..thanx for your response and nice to talk w/ ya again.
Ok...so I need to create just one texture map ...say in photoshop?
Or should I create one for the top and one for the bottom and then one large one for just the for sides?

Thanx again
Mark

Return to posts index

MarkRe: Help with Texture Mapping
by on Apr 1, 2002 at 3:53:46 pm

Hey Jon...I now have all the sides textured correctly...FANTASTIC..
but I have sum probs. First..when I preview in the materials control panel, I can see the texture maps...but when I render it out, I do not see them....humm?

Second...and I'm not sure if this is suppose to happen, but I have noticed every once in awhile when I am moving the object or the camera around the object goes CRAZY. It changes its shape..sorta like it's been skewed like mad. Whats up with that?

Look forward to hearing back,
I'm learning a ton from this forum and thanx for helping increase my skills and knowledge.
Mark

Return to posts index

Jon OkerstromRe: Help with Texture Mapping
by on Apr 1, 2002 at 7:17:18 pm

Hi Mark,

Try flipping the Invigorator layer quality to "best" in the timeline... (the diagonal line goes from dotted to solid.) That should reveal your texture maps in the timeline.

As for wild skewing - nope, it's not supposed to happen. Which Invigorator version are you using?

Jon

Return to posts index

Zax DowSkew Me!
by on Apr 1, 2002 at 11:22:24 pm

Regarding the wild skewing....

It sounds like you have the "Depth Scale" for a Set, turned to something other than 100%. This will cause the Set to stretch in the Z direction which is great when your objects are aligned with the axes of the Set. However, if you try to rotate the objects (inside the SetUp window) while the Depth Scale is other than 100% it will cause the objects to skew crazily.

What's happening is as if the space the object is inside of, is warped. So as your object rotates through this warped space, the object will warp too.

It's usually best to rotate and move the objects into their "initial positions" inside of a Set before you start to do anything to the Set itself.

Best,
Zax

Return to posts index

Jon OkerstromEx-skewz-me?
by on Apr 2, 2002 at 4:12:40 pm

Hi Zax,

Interesting observation, as always. Your comment about "the space the object is inside is being warped" when a set's z depth is changed leads me to wonder about what it might take to create other kinds of "deformation envelopes" for sets. I can accomplish lots of "warp effects" using layer cycling, but deformation tools inside Invig would sure be cool.

By the way.... Mark -- is Zax right? Inquiring minds want to know.

Jon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]